Iomega StorCenter 500GB
- Diverse range of functions, Simplicity
- Relatively slow over 10/100 network
While the lack of sophistication might not appeal to high-end network administrators, it has direct appeal to people who have smaller networks, but still require network sharing or backup facilities.
Price$ 849.00 (AUD)
For small businesses, or those of us with home networks that are almost as heavily used, network sharing is an all-too-real necessity. The StorCenter from Iomega gives you quick and easy control over 500GB of network storage space, as well as some other useful functions, though you're paying a premium of up to $300 over a plain 500GB external drive for these network utilities.
The two installed 250GB drives come defaulted in a RAID 0 (striping) array for greater speed, but can also be set to RAID 1 (mirroring) and JBOD (just a bunch of disks) depending on your requirements. Although it only managed to transfer at 5MB over a 10/100 network, around half the speed of other devices we looked at recently, it's capable of handling a gigabit connection on which greater speeds would be achievable. What makes this unit worth a look is the diversity of functions and the simplicity with which everything can be set-up. Designed to attach to a router or hub, the StorCenter is accessed from each workstation by installing the included "Discovery" software, which automatically detects the drive and assigns it a drive letter. The StorCenter can act as network printer server, FTP server, or even as a media server, streaming photos, music or movies to your TV via a digital media adapter (DMA). Using the "Discovery" interface, it's a quick step to create a share folder with permissions and allocate storage to users. The Iomega Automatic Backup will not only create a system recovery backup, which can be automated or scheduled, but will also perform backups of selected data and automatically add updates or additions to the backup as time goes on, a handy tool.
Join the newsletter!
Roam freely in the digital world. Critically acclaimed performance and security at your fingertips.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung Advances SATA Line-up with 860 PRO and 860 EVO Solid State Drives
- Synology Introduces FlashStation FS1018 and DiskStation DS218
- CES 2018: Crucial launches next generation MX500 SSD
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- FTCorporate ReceptionistOther
- TPSharePoint AdministratorACT
- TPData AnalystVIC
- FTJava Developer - AWS MicroservicesOther
- CCIncident ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence Reporting Analyst - TelcoVIC
- FTChange AnalystOther
- CCSharePoint DevelooperVIC
- FTFrontend Developer - Angular4/FirebaseNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst - L1Other
- CCBack End DeveloperVIC
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectWA
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- TPSenior Project Manager - Risk & Financial CrimeNSW
- TPProject Manager - Learning SystemsQLD
- FTSenior Linux System AdministratorVIC
- FTDesktop Engineer (Windows 10)Other
- CCShort term - Junior PMACT
- FTApplication Support SpecialistQLD
- CCUI iOS & Android DeveloperVIC
- FTField ConsultantOther
- FTBusiness ConsultantOther