Iomega StorCenter 500GB
- Diverse range of functions, Simplicity
- Relatively slow over 10/100 network
While the lack of sophistication might not appeal to high-end network administrators, it has direct appeal to people who have smaller networks, but still require network sharing or backup facilities.
Price$ 849.00 (AUD)
For small businesses, or those of us with home networks that are almost as heavily used, network sharing is an all-too-real necessity. The StorCenter from Iomega gives you quick and easy control over 500GB of network storage space, as well as some other useful functions, though you're paying a premium of up to $300 over a plain 500GB external drive for these network utilities.
The two installed 250GB drives come defaulted in a RAID 0 (striping) array for greater speed, but can also be set to RAID 1 (mirroring) and JBOD (just a bunch of disks) depending on your requirements. Although it only managed to transfer at 5MB over a 10/100 network, around half the speed of other devices we looked at recently, it's capable of handling a gigabit connection on which greater speeds would be achievable. What makes this unit worth a look is the diversity of functions and the simplicity with which everything can be set-up. Designed to attach to a router or hub, the StorCenter is accessed from each workstation by installing the included "Discovery" software, which automatically detects the drive and assigns it a drive letter. The StorCenter can act as network printer server, FTP server, or even as a media server, streaming photos, music or movies to your TV via a digital media adapter (DMA). Using the "Discovery" interface, it's a quick step to create a share folder with permissions and allocate storage to users. The Iomega Automatic Backup will not only create a system recovery backup, which can be automated or scheduled, but will also perform backups of selected data and automatically add updates or additions to the backup as time goes on, a handy tool.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPSQL Developer/AnalystQLD
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne or AdelaideQLD
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCUX Developer / DesignerQLD
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Technical Support EngineerACT
- FTUnix/AIX AdministratorOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCSenior Process AnalystNSW
- TPService Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperQLD
- TPC++ DeveloperNSW
- CCProgram / Project AnalystVIC
- CCSenior SQL DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Business AnalystACT
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorVIC
- FT3rd Line IT EngineerOther
- FTTechnical Lead / Senior Network EngineerOther
- CCXamarin Mobile Developer - East MelbourneNSW
- FTApplications Network SpecialistOther
- CCSystems Support Specialist- Network SystemsQLD
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- FTMS SQL AdministratorOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Insurance ClaimsNSW