Iomega ScreenPlay TV Link
Miniature USB media playback device.
- Simple, convenient for multimedia playback
- No eSATA, Firewire or card reading; inconvenient USB port location
If you do not know how to hook up a PC to your television, the ScreenPlay TV Link offers a convenient way to play multimedia content.
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
If you want more content than is available on Blu-ray and DVDs and from over-the-air broadcasts, you will need to find some way to let your TV access some other form of storage, either locally or over a network. The ScreenPlay TV Link does away with any complicated networking and focuses upon simple USB playback. It works well and is simple to use, but we would have liked more versatility.
The ScreenPlay TV Link's main focus is on flash drives and USB external hard drives. From these mass storage devices the ScreenPlay TV Link can access a variety of file types. Video support is acceptable: it offers MPEG 1, 2 and 4 decoding, including DivX and XviD. There is no support for more advanced codecs, though, with our test device unable to play H.264 video successfully. In addition the ScreenPlay TV Link can view JPEG picture files and decode MP3, OGG, WMA, WAV and AC3 audio.
All of this is able to come off any USB drive that has a FAT32 or NTFS file system — the two Windows standards — as long as the drive has a capacity greater than 512MB. We used a variety of flash drives from 1GB all the way to 64GB and did not have any issues. A range of external Seagate hard drives also worked flawlessly. Conveniently, the ScreenPlay TV Link is fully plug-and-play with no need to mount or "eject" a drive.
One shortcoming is a lack of a card reader or more advanced connections like eSATA or FireWire. This would have increased the appeal of the device, especially for those looking to connect a digital camera to their television easily.
It is a small device, roughly the size of a pack of Post-it notes. Composite and component break-out cables are included in the packaging, but the obvious winner is the device's HDMI connector. The device will up-scale content to 720p for playback, making it a good candidate for pairing with a newer LCD or plasma television. With power, USB, HDMI and analog audio (using the composite break-out cable) simultaneously connected, the back of the small device does become cluttered — if you change USB devices regularly an extension cable may be useful.
The on-screen interface is easy to use and has all the appropriate settings for video and audio, which makes initial set up a simple process. We were impressed with the up-scaling and video quality; 720p content on our test Samsung Series 8 (LA52A850) was bright and sharp with no significant flaws.
For the PC-illiterate or the downright lazy, the ScreenPlay TV Link offers a simple and convenient way to access mass storage devices.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCCCNP Network EngineerVIC
- FTResearch Officer / Data Scientist .Work Location- ACTACT
- FTEnterprise Security ArchitectQLD
- TPSenior Web Developer/Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTService Implementation Manager BIMNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSAP ISU Billing Consultant - FunctionalVIC
- CCMicrosoft (Sharepoint) SpecialistNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Configuration Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPSolution Architect - LIS ProgramQLD
- TPAgile Projet AdministratorVIC
- FTBusiness Process ConsultantNSW
- FTElectronic Payments POS Business Analyst - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCSAP Deployment ConsultantNSW
- FTNetwork AdministratorQLD
- FTProcurement OfficerACT
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractVIC
- FTSenior Security Engineer x 3NSW
- FTPython Fullstack DevNSW
- FTXamarin DeveloperVIC
- CCData Migration AnalystQLD