Iomega eGo 500 BlackBelt external hard drive
It keeps the same Iomega eGo BlackBelt name, but now this USB drive has a new case and larger capacity
- Sturdy case, decent speed
- Only USB connectivity
The Iomega eGo BlackBelt has increased in size and speed in its new incarnation, as well as dropping in price. It may have abandoned the classic metal hipflask extrusion, but the new eGo design still feels like it could stand a few knocks, aided by the rubber band that encircles it.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Iomega has forsaken the metal hipflask idea for a more plastic-like design with its latest eGo external hard drive. Like the original eGo, Iomega makes a few different options available, not just in capacity but colour too.
The red, silver and blue variants come in 320GB or 500GB sizes, while the black one we tried, the Iomega eGo BlackBelt, is 500GB only. All feature a single mini-USB socket on the back, with a bright blue LED alongside it to show operation.
If you need a faster FireWire connection, the company has kept one of the hipflask eGos in red finish in the line-up, in 250GB, 320GB or 500GB sizes.
The new style casing is still mostly aluminium and feels sturdy, with no visible sign of entry. As added protection, the black model includes a removable ‘BlackBelt' rubber harness to safeguard the corners and top and bottom surfaces from bumps and scratches.
Inside our Iomega eGo BlackBelt sample was a Seagate Momentus 2.5in notebook drive, a 5400rpm hard disk with 8MB cache. In basic speed tests with HDTach, we found it could average 28.9MB/s for disk reading, and 21.9MB/s when writing.
In burst tests, the Iomega eGo BlackBelt could hit 33.2MB/s, equivalent to around 265 megabits per second. Random access time was 19ms, and along with the read/write results, we'd conclude the Iomega eGo BlackBelt was slightly above average for most USB-attached hard drives; and is slightly faster than its predecessor.
There's no software included on the disk but Iomega offers its Protection Suite for free download.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Reporting AnalystOther
- FTFront End DesignerOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperWA
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTUser Experience (UX) SpecialistACT
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- FTBackend Java DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Lead - PHP DeveloperQLD
- CCContent AnalystACT
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)NSW
- FTCustomer Support OfficerSA
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCService Desk ConsultantNSW
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorSA
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTSenior .Net Developer - Federal GovernmentOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Insurance ClaimsNSW