System Mechanic 7.5
- Most of the functions can be scheduled, intuitive, optimises your startup files and system memory
- Our Internet connection didn't seem to be any faster after it was tweaked; much of what the tune-up portion of the program does is automate tasks that an advanced Windows user can do using built-in Windows utilities
If you're not comfortable delving into Windows utilities, the regular version of Iolo System Mechanic can easily pay for itself, helping you avoid forking over big bucks for a professional to clean up an aging, sluggish Windows installation. More-advanced users should spring for the Iolo System Mechanic Pro version to get their money's worth.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Iolo System Mechanic backs up, repairs, and compacts the Windows Registry; protects against spyware; optimises startup files and system memory; and tweaks Internet connection settings.
Iolo's System Mechanic, now in version 7.5, has been garnering positive reviews for ages – for good reason.
Iolo System Mechanic's two flavours, regular and Professional, offer Windows repair, tune-ups, and preventive security features that work well and keep a relatively low profile, providing the software equivalent of the "geeky friend" many users lack.
In its $49 regular incarnation, System Mechanic 7.5 will back up, repair, and compact the Windows Registry; detect and remove many types of spyware; optimise your startup files and system memory; and tweak your Internet connection settings for best performance.
In our tests the Registry and startup optimisations worked well, but our Internet connection seemed no faster. (We did not test the spyware removal.) Using Iolo System Mechanic's ActiveCare feature, you may schedule most of these functions, so you don't have to remember to invoke them yourself. The Iolo System Mechanic Pro edition, which costs around $20 extra, adds secure data wiping, data recovery, a firewall, and antivirus protection, although we didn't test the latter two.
We found version 7.5 intuitive and a bit easier to use than previous instalments of Iolo System Mechanic. Users who wish to know exactly what is being done and why won't be disappointed; Iolo System Mechanic also offers complete and extremely granular explanations of each action to come. In fact, perusing System Mechanic's help file is an educational experience that might be worth the price of admission in and of itself.
Over the years, we've used System Mechanic mostly for recovering data and wiping hard drives, but the tune-up features have also worked well. That brings us to our only caveat about the non-pro version: much of what the tune-up portion of the program does is automate tasks that an advanced Windows user (or your geeky friend) will already know how to perform manually using built-in Windows utilities.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
- Google Assistant branches out, supporting third-party hardware and smarter features
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FTRelease / Implementation ManagerSA
- TPData AnalystVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- TPSolution Architect - InfrastructureQLD
- CCBlue Prism DeveloperVIC
- FTApplication Support EngineerNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- TPSystems EngineerQLD
- FTBI BA Consultant l Microstrategy, Business ObjectsNSW
- CCSenior Process ModellerNSW
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- TPChange Management - Multi-stream people change program**NSW
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTJava Technical Team LeadVIC
- FTPrincipal Consultant / Account Delivery ExecutiveACT
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- TPData Migration LeadNSW