Iolo Technologies System Mechanic 6
- Powerful tools, Easy to use, Very effective
- Some features are painfully slow.
System Mechanic 6 is a fine addition to any PC optimisation arsenal
Price$ 65.95 (AUD)
Once the maker of one of the best PC cleaning and optimization tools on the market, Iolo Technologies had slipped a bit in recent years, turning out mediocre versions of its flagship System Mechanic software. We're happy to see that System Mechanic 6 is substantially better than the two prior versions.
System Mechanic's original appeal was its promise to make your system run quicker and leaner, with simple, easy-to-use tools. This version answers that promise with an informative interface. Most striking about the shipping version we tested are the colourful audio-volume-style meters that display your computer's overall health and security status at a glance. We also appreciated the applications logical layout, which should provide novices with fast access to the most important tools for cleaning out junk files, optimizing the Registry, speeding Windows' startup, repairing hard-drive problems, and killing spyware. Drilling down to the more expert tools is intuitive, though most people will probably never get around to them. The basic tools are that good.
Below the meters is a box with six items detailing where your machine is in good, or bad, shape. The first four -- Clutter, Speed, Safety, and Fitness -- tell you which major repair tools you should run to optimize your system. The two other items are for maintenance: Update indicates whether System Mechanic is fully updated, while Active Care lets you know whether an automated maintenance schedule has been set up.
You can run repair tools directly from within this box or use the Power Tools buttons on the right side of the application's interface.
The first of these buttons is the all-in-one PC TotalCare tool. This is a good place to start if your machine has a lot of problems, because the tool runs all the most important repair and optimization applications with a single mouse click. However, it is extremely slow; painfully so. We jumped immediately to the PC Cleanup tool which quickly found -- and eliminated -- a gigabyte's worth of Windows temporary files, cookies, and cached Web pages.
The PC Accelerator tool is my favorite part of System Mechanic 6. This tool optimises your Internet connection settings, removes any unnecessary programs that crank up when Windows starts, defragments your hard drives and system memory, and compacts the Windows Registry. We used the last major tool, PC Repair, to fix broken shortcuts and to delete spyware apps and invalid uninstallers. After we used the tool, System Mechanic declared our PC in tip-top shape, but shortly thereafter a system-tray icon reported that my machine's health and performance could stand improvement. However, when we restarted System Mechanic, it found no problems to fix.
Beyond this modest issue, we didn't run into any problems, which leads me to recommend System Mechanic 6 as a fine addition to any PC optimisation arsenal.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior PHP Developer - SymfonyQLD
- FTSecurity Dev Ops and Java DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst- Wollongong, Loftus, Sutherland ShireNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Deployment ManagerVIC
- FTIT Command Centre Support EngineerVIC
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- TPTrim Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCdevOps EngineerNSW
- CCProcurement & Contract SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEVIC
- FTEnterprise Architect - BusinessQLD
- FT.NET DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Systems Specialist- Database l Bathurst LocationNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- TPMS Access/SQL DBAQLD
- TPEnterprise Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD