Intel Pentium Processor Extreme Edition 955
- Top Intel performance
- Lacking compared to AMD, Expensive
Intel pulled out all the stops with this processor and it certainly is a good one, but it does not do enough to knock AMD off the performance pedestal.
Price$ 1,700.00 (AUD)
Intel's flagship Pentium Processor Extreme Edition (EE) 955 dual-core CPU is the first Intel desktop chip to feature the 65 nanometre (nm) architecture. This architecture means that more (and smaller) transistors can be used to improve the CPU's performance and power efficiency - it's a generation ahead of AMD's 90nm architecture, which AMD still uses for its latest dual-core chips. However, test results reveal that this new architecture does not bring the EE 955 as close to the performance of AMD's flagship dual-core CPU, the Athlon 64 FX-60, as it should.
In our multi-tasking test, the EE 955 took 495sec, while the Athlon FX-60 took 354sec. In Adobe Premiere testing, the EE 955 ran through an editing task in 430sec, 100sec longer than what it took the FX-60. Considering the specifications of the EE 955, it should probably be the fastest CPU on the market.
We tested it in an ASUS P5WD2-E motherboard with 2GB of DDR2 memory, a 250GB Western Digital Caviar SE hard drive and an ATI Radeon X1900XT graphics adapter. The same configuration was used for the Athlon CPU, save for the motherboard (ASUS A8N32-SLI) and memory (2GB DDR).
An Intel 955X or 975X chipset-based motherboard can be used to run this CPU, and it also requires a beefy power supply as it can consume up to 130-watts. The EE 955 consumes less power than its predecessor, the 90nm-based EE 840 CPU, but it still uses more power than the 90nm FX-60.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Logitech Unveils MX ERGO, their first trackball in nearly a decade
- MSI's new Ryzen-ready motherboard coming to Oz
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Intel's 8th Gen Desktop Processors Go On Sale Today
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTEllipse DeveloperQLD
- FTDesktop Technical LeadOther
- FTSenior Siebel DeveloperOther
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPWeb DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Client TechnologiesOther
- CC2 x Technical Infrastructure SME - VMware / Storage/ BackupNSW
- FTTechnical Operations ManagerOther
- CCJunior .Net Developer /Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTSAP Data AnalystOther
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- CCSenior Data governance consultantVIC
- FTProject Manager (Network & Security)Other
- CCITSM Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Sunshine Coast HospitalQLD
- FTField ConsultantOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperOther
- FTSnr Information Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTChange Manager, SAPConnect TransformationOther
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC