Intel Pentium D 820
- Intel Active Management Technology, SATA II
- Main board upgrade required, not for the performance user
As it stands, the Pentium D 2.8GHz is not much of an upgrade over existing 2.8GHz Pentium 4 CPUs, but you will get a slight benefit when multitasking. It is a relatively inexpensive dual-core CPU though, retailing around $400, although it does require a new chipset to run on.
Price$ 400.00 (AUD)
Intel is offering its Pentium D range of dual-core processors at speeds beginning at 2.8GHz (the Pentium D 820). Each chip comes with 1MB of cache per core, 64-bit instructions and has a frontside bus speed of 800MHz. Some versions of the processor also have SpeedStep technology, which slows down the CPU cores when they're not under heavy load in order to save power and reduce fan noise.
The Pentium D series uses the LGA775 socket interface, which is the same as most current Pentium 4 processors. However, be warned that this doesn't mean that it will work on any motherboard with a 775-pin CPU socket!
Only motherboards that have Intel's 945G, 945P or more recent chipsets, or use Nvidia's nForce4 SLI for Intel chipset can run the dual-core Intel chips. It's not a simple upgrade path for those of you that may have an existing Intel platform.
We examined a Pentium D 2.8GHz chip using a pre-production Intel reference motherboard that featured the 945G chipset.
Being the slowest CPU in the Pentium D range, the results we obtained in PC WorldBench 5 do indeed indicate that the Pentium D 2.8GHz CPU is not for the performance user. Despite having two cores, it scored 86 in this benchmark, which is about five points better than a typical Pentium 4 520 machine with a 915P chipset. This performance difference was a result of the multitasking test finishing a little quicker. (Dual core processors excel at multitasking, because different tasks can be assigned to different cores, and each core is, in effect, a fully functioning CPU).
That means the Pentium D will give you a performance boost over a single-core CPU if you are a heavy multitasker, but will not gain you any extra performance in single-threaded applications.
It's important to note that unlike the Pentium 5xx series and Pentium 6xx series of CPUs, the Pentium D series does not have Hyper-Threading. If you want both Hyper-Threading and dual-core, you need to look to the Pentium Extreme Edition 8xx processors.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- Logitech say new mouse features the best optical sensor ever designed for wireless gaming
- Razer unveil new Basilisk mouse built for FPS gaming
- HyperX Unveil Heavy-Duty Gaming Keyboard
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- TPProgram Coordinator. Product Management BackgroundNSW
- CCMiddleware SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- CCFilenet Developer - BrisbaneQLD
- FTSolution DesignerOther
- CCProject Manager - Audio VisualNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - CRMQLD
- FTTechnology and Strategy Architecture ManagerQLD
- CCApplications PackagerNSW
- CCNetwork Data AdminVIC
- CCCapacity PlannerVIC
- FTPMO Analyst BIWA
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTMid - Senior Web DeveloperWA
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)VIC
- CCData & Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTMEAN Stack DeveloperACT
- FTChange and Business Deployment SpecialistOther
- FTCRM Business Analysis Senior ConsultantOther
- FTProject Administrator/Project SupportOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - InsuranceOther