InFocus IN83 home theatre projector
A 1080p home theatre projector that reproduces skin tones well
- DarkChip4 video processor means contrast and natural colour are fantastic, high brightness, crisp detail
- Pricey, no adjustable lens shift, limited zoom, no dynamic iris
If you can find a suitable location to set it up, the InFocus IN83 home theatre projector produces crisp, detailed 1080p images with great natural colour after a small amount of tweaking.
Price$ 7,499.00 (AUD)
The InFocus IN83 is a 1080p home theatre projector using a 7 segment DLP colour wheel. In conjunction with the newest DarkChip4 video processor, this means the InFocus IN83 projector is able to produce a good native contrast ratio and static black levels. Colour accuracy is spot-on, while the projector’s lens creates a crisp image despite a lack of setup versatility.
The InFocus IN83 home theatre projector looks very similar to the InFocus X10 — and that’s because it is… on the outside at least. The casing of the projector is identical apart from a gloss black finish where the X10 projector had matte black.
Situating and setting up this 1080p home theatre projector may prove troublesome for those without traditional ceiling mounts. While the image is able to be flipped for inverted mounting positions and rear projection, there is no adjustable lens shift and limited zoom range. This presents a problem when shelf-mounting the InFocus IN83. If you’re willing to spend $7500 on a home theatre projector, though, you’ll probably have no issues with an extra $200 for a ceiling mount.
The InFocus IN83 has plenty of connectors for the digital video enthusiast, with a proprietary M1-DA connector taking pride of place. This can be transformed into DVI, VGA, component or HDMI depending on your needs. A dedicated HDMI connector is available on-board as well as component, composite, VGA and S-Video. The M1-DA port means that each audio/video connector is doubled — making the InFocus IN83 home theatre projector a great choice if you switch between different devices regularly.
Navigating through the menus of the InFocus IN83 is a breeze. The Picture menu gives easy access to all necessary image adjustments, and the Advanced sub-menu allows for fine tweaking. We didn’t find colour tweaking necessary in its default 6500K setting, but the ability is there if you need it.
Picture quality from the InFocus IN83, when properly set up and positioned, is amongst the best we’ve seen. Images have a film-like quality to them, with colours that are consistently natural and vibrant. As an example, the InFocus IN83 home theatre projector has the best reproduction of skin tones we have seen in our tests.
The InFocus IN83 has no dynamic iris setting — so there is no automatic brightness adjustment to boost contrast ratios. Thankfully static contrast is quite high at 15000:1 and there is only a minimal amount of detail-hiding black crush.
Sharpness is great by default, with fine image detail easily visible — but there are adjustment options if it isn’t suited to your tastes. We tested this InFocus home theatre projector on the Cinema setting, which lowers brightness to dark room-friendly levels. Brightness is more than high enough for watching with the lights on, however, with a rated ANSI lumens setting of 1600.
If you are looking for a 1080p home theatre projector with exemplary image quality and great colour accuracy, consider the IN83. If you can place it in your cinema room without trouble, the InFocus IN83 is a great choice.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTURGENT - Contract opportunity Business Analyst - Finance - Immediate startVIC
- FTFront-End Developer - BankingVIC
- FTGraduate Software Automation Test AnalystWA
- FTSenior Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- TPICT TechnicianVIC
- FTSignalling EngineerOther
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTAgile Business Analyst, website or mobile apps expOther
- FTEnvironmental Planner / Land Access CoordinationOther
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTC ++ DeveloperNSW
- FTRecruitment Contract SpecialistNSW
- FTChief Information Security OfficerVIC
- TPSenior Business Analyst | Integrated Care ProgramQLD
- CCAutomation TesterNSW
- CCLead Service Designer - CANBERRA BASEDNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTSAP Analyst ProgrammerOther
- CCSupport Specialist MQ and ESB AdministrationNSW
- CCICT Project ManagerNSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- FTLevel 1 Application Support (POS)QLD
- CCService Desk AnalystACT