A compact widescreen projector.
- Small and light, bright with good colour, DisplayLink connection is trouble-free
- Low contrast
For a portable model, the IN1102 functions brilliantly for both video playback and presentations. It equals or beats its competitors in almost all areas, stumbling only slightly on image contrast.
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
While there are many projectors that fall into the ‘portable’ category, many of them make significant sacrifices in resolution, brightness or colour quality. InFocus’ IN1102 breaks that mould, combining small size and low weight with impressive colour and brightness. Its only problem is a low level of contrast.
The IN1102 does not have interesting styling or a non-standard form factor — it’s a small and unobtrusive projector. With a two-tone grey colour scheme it does not look particularly stylish, but it is small enough that it does not stick out like a sore thumb.
At 6cm tall, 18cm deep and 21cm long, it is easy to carry in one hand or tuck under an arm when moving around. InFocus also supplies a carry bag with plenty of storage space for carrying all the necessary cables and accessories. With everything bundled into the bag it still weighs well under two kilograms.
At first look there are not many connections to be seen on the rear of the unit, with VGA, S-Video and composite RCA the most prominent. On close inspection, though, the DisplayLink port is visible, using a mini-USB connector like the one found on many MP3 players and Nokia mobile phones.
Using a DisplayLink cable is where the IIN1102 really shines. When connecting to the USB port of a computer the IN1102 supports scaling of any resolution, up to and including 1080p high-definition content. In addition, a virtual remote control is displayed on the computer’s screen when connected — allowing easy configuration and control of the projector remotely. Up to six projectors can be connected simultaneously to a single PC.
We tested the IN1102 over DisplayLink and VGA connected to a Xbox 360 and a Lenovo ThinkPad W700 (275854M) laptop. At the projector’s default resolution of 1280x800 we found the picture to be an almost perfect compromise of brightness, colour quality and sharpness — definitely one of the most impressive portable models we have tested.
At a rated 2200 ANSI lumens, projection brightness in a well-lit room was exemplary. We saw consistent colour and a vibrant picture even when overhead fluorescent lights were on. The projector’s sharpness was equally impressive — text and graphs within presentations were crisp and exhibited no bleeding.
Contrast is an area where the IN1102 is not so strong. This is understandable given its focus as a business projector, but if you are considering it for movie watching it may disappoint. Even with the low contrast colours were still vibrant and well separated, giving presentations and most video a pleasant image.
A lamp life of 4000 hours is on par with competitors, but the IN1102’s impressive specifications are what set it ahead of the rest of the pack. If you are looking for a portable projector that’s proficient at presentations, the IN1102 is a good option.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSoftware Engineer (C ++, Java)Other
- FTSystems Performance ManagerVIC
- FTTest Analyst - RiskOther
- FTGraduate Data Scientist/ Data AnalystWA
- FTData AnalystVIC
- TPTechnical Support OfficerVIC
- CCApplication Architect - Custom DevelopmentVIC
- CCJunior Java DeveloperQLD
- FTTelephony Business Analyst - $750 per dayOther
- CCPortfolio Coordinator / Administrator - BrisbaneNSW
- CCIncident ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence (BI) Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTFrontend Developer - UX/UINSW
- FTNetwork Engineer (RUN-BAU)VIC
- FTCRM / MS Dynamics Architect / Sr ConsultantACT
- TPSAP Project ManagerQLD
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)ACT
- FTService Desk Analyst - 1st LevelOther
- CCSenior Storage AdministratorACT
- FTSenior Scrum MasterOther
- FTUser Access AdministratorSA
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTSalesforce Business AnalystQLD
- FT.NET Integration Lead Developer - Australian Citizens onlyOther