Imagenomic Portraiture 2
Portraiture is a powerful, effective plug-in that automates skin smoothing and blemish removal.
- Outstanding automated skin smoothing function; can output to separate layer
- Layers don’t output properly on Smart Objects
Portraiture is a great plug-in that automates skin smoothing and blemish removal. It's full of nifty extra functions, time saving tools and it works in 8-bit and 16-bit RGB modes.
Price$ 324.74 (AUD)
Retouching skin blemishes, make-up imperfections and the effects of strong lighting is a laborious process that — unless you’re a full-time retouch artist — can eat into the time you want to spend being creative on a project. Portraiture is a plug-in that automates skin smoothing and blemish removal — and it’s one that most digital artists will want to get their hands on, as it’s powerful, effective, and full of nifty extra functions.
When you first apply the plug-in, it scans the image to establish which areas are skin tones, then smoothes these to hide imperfections. For many images that’s all you’ll need to do, as it does an excellent job without manual tweaking. It had no problem with different types of skin tones — and was capable even with troublesome images (as above right and below).
If you want to fine-tune the results, there’s a small number of powerful controls available to you. The presets give you quick access to smoothing, or lighting effects based on the Enhancements panel. You can also create your own presets, for example tuned to a particular model’s skin colour under set lighting, which you can use to batch process a whole shoot.
You alter what Portraiture considers to be skin tones using the Skin Tones Mask panel, which includes an eyedropper and other controls. These are linked to a Mask Preview window, which shows which areas will be smoothed. The plug-in scans all areas of your image, so will likely pick up other areas in your picture as skin tones, but as Portraiture can output the changed pixels with a transparency mask as a separate layer in Photoshop, you can quickly erase them back in the main tool.
Portraiture works in 8-bit and 16-bit RGB modes, and as a Smart Object, but we did find a bug when outputting a masked layer on a Smart Object.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTPMO Quality OfficerNSW
- TPNode.js DeveloperNSW
- TPTrim Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- FTUnix EngineerACT
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCDevOps Engineer with strong Docker skills - Contract - North Shore SydneyNSW
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTWeb Content WriterACT
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTDevelopment LeadVIC
- CCPega DeveloperACT
- FTSharepoint DeveloperQLD
- FTSAP HANA ConsultantNSW
- FTData Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- FTResearch Officer / Data Scientist .Work Location- ACTACT
- FTAgile CoachNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTDIRECTOR PROJECT DELIVERY, WELLINGTONNZ
- FTLead ArchitectVIC
- TPSolution Architect - InfrastructureQLD