IBM Australia Lenovo ThinkCentre M51
- Solid security
- Less than stellar performance
This machine is sluggish when it comes to business application performance, but it has excellent provisions for security, and its data backup software is very simple to use. We think the unit is way too big for what it is though, and think it could either be built smaller or even turned into a tower.
Price$ 2,049.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
For corporate environments where reliability and security are the most important issues when rolling out new desktops, Lenovo is hard to overlook. Its range of ThinkCentre M51 desktops incorporate hardware user authentication via Lenovo's Embedded Security Subsystem 2.0 and Client Security Software wizard, which aims to protect your data from local and remote unauthorised access. It supports data encryption on-the-fly and can be used in conjunction with an optional smart card or fingerprint reader for extra security. It also features Lenovo's Rescue and Recovery suite, which is a set of programs that can restore the desktop and back up data through a very intuitive user interface.
Physically, the M51 is a desktop (not a tower) that occupies a large footprint, yet still has a cable locking facility and also features an internal tamper switch.
Our World Bench 5 scores revealed sluggish performance from this PC, whose cornerstone is a 915G chipset-based motherboard and a Pentium 4 530 (3GHz) CPU, along with 512MB of DDR memory, an 80GB hard drive and integrated graphics. This configuration is plenty for everyday office tasks such as creating presentations, working on spreadsheets and using Internet services, but anything more than that, particularly tasks involving lots of graphics data, and the system will struggle.
The included Rescue and Recovery software can be used to create an "image" of the data on your hard drive, or onto CD using the installed DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive.
The versatile connectivity options include a full complement of legacy ports, plus a DVI port and USB 2.0 ports. For ease of use, it has two front-accessible USB 2.0 ports.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple Roll Out High Sierra
- ASUS' VivoMini VM45 gets upgraded to 7th Generation Intel processors
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- Intel's modular Compute Card puts a PC in your pocket
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPInstructional DesignerNSW
- FTReporting AnalystQLD
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager | Service Management I ITILQLD
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTChange Manager, Business RelocationsOther
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCJava Full stack developer - Telco domainVIC
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTAgile Delivery Project ManagerOther
- CCSAP AdminstratorNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational experience requiredOther
- FTProject Manager - Rail , Develop Strategy. Need RISI cardOther
- FTInsights AnalystOther
- CCPHP DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness Architect/Strategy AnalystVIC
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- FTMultiple Axway rolesOther
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerNSW
- FTDevOps EngineerOther