- Touch screen display, FM recording, USB 2.0 interface
- Can't record TV
The i-Station PMP1000 is a reasonably priced multimedia player with a handy touch screen.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
Portable media players let you stow in your pocket favourite TV shows, movies, music and photos--a mix of entertainment otherwise confined to your desktop computer. Although Microsoft is pushing players based on the mobile version of its Media Center software, there are a variety of alternatives available, each with a different take on the concept--from physical design to user interface.
Most media players have had similar drawbacks: high price tags, barely pocketable sizes, and minimal extra features. However, the i-Station PMP1000 and Archos PMA430 introduced a new touch, quite literally, as they were the first to include a 3.5" touch screen display. This is a boon for ease of use. The i-Station is well built and a tad smaller than some earlier players. The PMP1000 is equipped with a 20GB hard disks; enough capacity for roughly 4500 songs or roughly seven movies. It has a USB 2.0 interface, can also double as an external hard disk and includes internal directory structures for organising your media files (see specifications for full listing of supported photo, music and movie file formats).
The devices can record input from built-in microphones and line-input directly to MP3. The i-Station PMP1000 can also output to TV (S-Video) but not record. Its extra features include FM radio tuning and recording plus built-in dictionary, calendar, calculator and a text viewer.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Moto G5 smartphone: full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCSystems Analyst- Port MacquarieQLD
- FTDIRECTOR PROJECT DELIVERY, WELLINGTONNZ
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCScada Project ManagerWA
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Manager- Change ManagementSA
- FTReport Developer and Visualisation AnalystQLD
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager (Office 365) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPSOE EngineerACT
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMOACT
- TPSenior Web DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- FTCapacity ManageSA
- TPTraining and Support Officer - Windows 10QLD
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCTransport EngineerVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- CCSolution Architect with Magento experience wantedVIC
- FTTechnical Business AnalystSA
- CCSAP ISU Functional ConsultantVIC