i-mate Ultimate 9502
- Excellent VGA display, slide-out QWERTY keyboard, Wi-Fi, HSUPA and HSDPA capable, Secure and Custom i-Q portals
- Chunky and heavy build, slider doesn't feel stable when opened, slow start-up time, no navigational software included
The Ultimate 9502 is one of the first HSUPA-capable phones to hit the market in Australia. Although it's feature packed and the Custom and Secure i-Q portals are a nice touch, you'll need to consider whether its bulky form factor is right for you.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
Australia's first commercially available HSUPA smart phone, the i-mate Ultimate 9502 offers a full, slide-out QWERTY keyboard, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, a 2.8in VGA touch screen and built-in GPS.
The Ultimate 9502 is available exclusively on Telstra's Next G network in Australia and is one of the first lot of handsets (along with the i-mate Ultimate 8502) to offer high speed data uploading via HSUPA, in addition to HSDPA. Telstra claims downlink speeds of up to 1.9Mbps, though expect to achieve considerably less. Regardless, HSUPA technology will develop and improve over time so it's a nice option to have, particularly for business consumers. For the full array of BigPond services, including BigPond Music, WhereIs Maps and Yellow Pages, we found browsing speeds reasonably fast.
The design of the Ultimate 9502 is a hit and miss affair. On one hand, the large size means a comfortable QWERTY keyboard and large VGA display, but the compromise is a chunky and heavy build. Although build quality feels reasonably solid, the slider doesn't, often swaying slightly from side to side when opened. The keyboard is quite comfortable and the soft backlit keys are a nice touch, but we felt the buttons themselves are a little too small.
The VGA display is excellent. It's incredibly crisp and clear and the included video-out cable means you can connect to a digital projector or television. The resolution isn't great when connected to a large display, but it does the job. Below the display is a five-way navigational pad and two selection buttons while on the left side, a handy three-way scroll wheel does a fine job of navigation without needing to use the included stylus.
The Ultimate 9502 runs Windows Mobile 6 so it naturally has the latest mobile versions of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications. There is also Windows Live, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and Windows Messenger programs. Both built-in 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and HSDPA-connectivity make the 9502 an excellent e-mail device. Bluetooth 2.0 with support for A2DP means you can stream your music to a pair of wireless headphones, while USB 2.0 handles connection with a PC for synchronisation (using a standard mini-USB port). A built-in GPS is standard, but i-mate doesn't include any navigational software. Unfortunately, multimedia support is let-down by a 2.5mm headphone jack instead of the standard 3.5mm – a shame when considering the excellent display and decent speaker offered.
A 3-megapixel camera on the rear and a VGA camera on the front for video calling over the Next G network are included. The 3-megapixel camera is decent, but not outstanding. The autofocus works well though, and the quality of video recordings is notable. In terms of general use, the Ultimate 9502 is quite speedy and we didn't experience much lag when running multiple applications. A minor sour point was the screen orientation, which is a little sluggish to adjust when the slider is opened and closed, and the start-up time of the unit – often taking up to a minute and a half.
The Ultimate 9502 also offers access to two i-mate developed services – Custom i-Q and Secure i-Q. Custom i-Q allows users to customise settings and applications for your phone via an online portal. Here, users log-in to access and edit e-mail settings and synchronise various aspects of their phone including calendar and contact details. Once these settings are saved, they are automatically downloaded to the device via an over-the-air connection. Conveniently, if your phone is ever lost or upgraded, your settings will be saved and you can upload them to your new device. Secure i-Q is a similar online service that allows you to lock and/or wipe your phone in the event that it is lost or stolen – you can even sound an alarm on the phone and have the phone number of the SIM card inserted into the device sent you.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Sony Xperia XA2 to be Available in Australia
- CES 2018: Alcatel Embrace 18:9 Aspect Ratio In 2018
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Belkin
- CES 2018: Belkin Unveils Armada Of New Wireless Charging Solutions
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical Writer - Clinical ICT ProjectsOther
- CCIncident/Service ManagerNSW
- FTCloud Systems EngineerOther
- TPRemote Sensing OfficerACT
- FTSitecore Developer/ArchitectOther
- FTData AnalystOther
- CCUser Experience DesignerQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer - C++QLD
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- FTProject Manager - Product & Value ChainOther
- FTNatural/ADABAS ProgrammerOther
- FTIT Support/ Service Desk ManagerNSW
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- CCData Quality ManagerNSW
- FTTibco DeveloperOther
- CCUnix System AdministratorNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - Multiple OpportunitiesQLD
- FTJava DeveloperWA
- FTProject Manager - Immediate startACT
- FTSCADA Project MaanagerOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Office 365 Project)Other
- CCPHP Developer (Codeigniter / Cake)VIC
- FTAgile Business AnalystACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW