Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
HyperX Cloud Alpha Gaming Headset: Gaming in stereo has never sounded so good
- Extra comfy
- Dual chamber design
- Very similar design if you've already own a HyperX headset
- Only 2.1-channel stereo sound
HyperX's Cloud Alpha gaming headset feels like it might be their best effort yet. Even if it is also their most expensive.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
The gaming accessory market is nothing if not crowded. However, over the last few years, Kingston’s gaming brand HyperX has made solid headway within it. Despite big, well-established competition, they’ve quickly distinguished themselves as a brand that delivers solid products with the features that customers care about. What’s more, they've been able to do it while maintaining pretty competitive pricing.
However, in the face of that already-impressive track-record, their new HyperX Cloud Alpha gaming headset feels like it could well be their best effort yet. Even if it is also their most expensive.
At first glance, the Cloud Alpha looks a lot like the other headsets that HyperX have on their roster - specifically, the original Cloud and Cloud II. However, below the more-vibrant (rose red paired with a stark black) exterior lies some new tech that distinguishes from what’s come before in a pretty major way.
Unlike the company’s past efforts, the Cloud Alpha headphones incorporate a unique dual chamber design that promises to deliver gaming soundscapes with both incredible range and more accurate tone. HyperX claim this feature allows the Alpha to easily separate the bass frequencies from the mids and highs, creating a more dynamic sound that’ll make gaming experiences much more immersive.
The HyperX Cloud Alpha is a wired gaming headset with an aluminum frame and padded memory foam earcups. It boasts a dual-chambered design and a detachable boom mic that comes both TeamSpeak and Discord Certified.
The Cloud Alpha delivers 2.1-channel stereo audio via 50mm drivers with neodymium magnets and a has a frequency range of 13Hz–27,000Hz. It also comes with a two year warranty and carry pouch.
Of course, before we get to whether or not the dual chamber audio technology lives up to the hype - it’s worth touching on the design. As touched on before,the Cloud Alpha looks a LOT like the original Cloud. However, there are a few key differences and improvements to be found.
For one, the Cloud Alpha now features an expanded headband featuring softer, more pliable leatherette. As someone who’s spent a lot of time with the older Cloud headphones, they were noticeably more comfortable to wear. Specifically, the earcup padding feels much better cushioned this time around as well.
The Cloud Alpha comes with a detachable microphone and audio cable with inline control. This means It’ll work with PC, PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Mac, Mobile, Nintendo Switch and select virtual reality systems. Basically, anything with a 3.5mm port. No matter your platform of choice, HyperX have tried to make sure you're covered . Unlike certain other gaming brands, there’s no meaningless dichotomy between console and PC gaming headsets to be found here.
Last but not least, it's worth mentioning the simple-but-appealing fabric carry-case that comes bundled with the Alpha. It's a small inclusion but it does add a nice premium touch to the accessory when not in use.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Garmin introduces compact Edge 130 GPS bike computer
- ZTE slams "unfair" trade ban
- Google pauses Allo, presses play on Chat
- Garmin introduce Edge 520 Plus GPS cycling computer
- Huawei reveal just when Australians will be able to buy the new P20 Pro
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- TPDelivery ManagerACT
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTData EngineerOther
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Program ManagerOther
- CCOffice365 ProPlus SpecialistNSW
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTIT Program ManagerOther
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- TPWeb Content Publisher (VPS4/5) - Government sectorVIC
- FTSoftware Engineer (Java/AWS/NoSQL)Other
- TPSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- FTSecurity Operations Specialist (SIEM)Other
- FTSAP ABAP (CRM)/ UI5 DevelopersOther
- CCXamarin DeveloperNSW
- CCSCCM Application Packager - BrisbaneNSW
- FTJunior ServiceNow Technical AnalystOther
- FTSAP Ariba Project ManagerOther