HumanConcepts OrgPlus 6 Professional
- Works well, Powerful tools
- Niche product, Unattractive interface
OrgPlus 6 Professional is a solid package if org charts are your thing
Price$ 396.30 (AUD)
HumanConcepts' OrgPlus 6 Professional is a well-trained one-trick pony. And it does that one trick -- creating organizational charts -- very well, once you take the time to get familiar with the program.
A graphics package with spreadsheet capabilities, OrgPlus is geared toward presenting employee data. You could chart other things -- ideas or workflow -- using its ample drawing, alignment, and formatting tools, but you would not be taking full advantage of the app. We tested a prerelease version of OrgPlus 6 Professional, designed to chart 100 to 1000 employees.
You can loosely break up the program's new features into formatting, data manipulation, and distribution tools. Formatting enhancements include a free-form tool for putting a box anywhere on the page. This tool matches a corresponding one in Microsoft Visio, OrgPlus's main competitor. You can collapse multiple boxes into a single box to save screen space, and you can add pictures to boxes.
Hotspots and more
Hotspots let you add data to a chart without cluttering it up. After you include specific employee information in the hotspot, you can then assign the hotspot to an area of one or more chart boxes. When you mouse over the designated box area (and wait a few seconds), this information appears in a rollover graphic.
You can import data easily from Excel and ODBC databases using the Import Data wizard. Once in OrgPlus, the data populates the fields, and the app creates a hierarchical chart. In the window's right pane, you can then manipulate how you view and work with different subsets of data.
New to OrgPlus 6 is the ability to use Boolean-like parameters to search through fields to create custom reports; unfortunately, you can't save the parameters of a search. The new version has improved its Excel-style formulas and added context-sensitive chart legends, too. A legend could note, for example, that the box for any employee who makes over $100,000 is highlighted in red. OrgPlus also lets you combine multiple division charts into one large chart.
We found OrgPlus easy to use once we read the Help menu tutorials and waded through the 412-page PDF manual (boxed copies have a printed manual). These aids helped us overcome the software's penchant for burying features deep in menus and behind unintuitive toolbar button icons. The interface is functional but not pretty; ditto for the templates and graphic formatting. Though we tested the program on a fairly robust desktop PC, the software was sluggish when we handled large charts, and we encountered a few screen refresh snafus. HumanConcepts says it has no other reported instances of these issues and suspects a software conflict on our PC.
OrgPlus 6 Professional is a solid package. If org charts are your thing, get it. If you use OrgPlus 5 Professional and have to massage and present large data sets aggregated from multiple divisions, version 6 is a worthy upgrade.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Fallout Geeki Tikis
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
- Amazon confirms early 2018 Australian launch for Alexa and Echo
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- University of Sydney Signs World-First Agreement with Dropbox
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTProblem Management AnalystACT
- CCTechnical Field EngineerNSW
- FTIT Manager - ApplicationsOther
- FTMS Dynamics CRM DeveloperNSW
- CCAutomation Designer (Solutions Architect) - Robotics (RPA) - SydneyNSW
- CCNetwork Data EngineerWA
- CCTeam Assistant/Executive Assistant - TelcoVIC
- FTAGILE Business AnalystOther
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- CCAutomation Test AnalystNSW
- CCJava LeadNSW
- FTMajor Incident SpecialistACT
- FTSAP BW/BO DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Development LeadOther
- TPPrincipal Project Manager | ApplicationsQLD
- FTVBA DeveloperOther
- CCAutomation Test AnalystNSW
- CCJunior to Mid Level Tester - BankingQLD
- FTSAP SD/EDI Support ConsultantOther
- CCSystem AdministrationVIC
- FTJunior Manual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCIteration Lead - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC