HumanConcepts OrgPlus 6 Professional
- Works well, Powerful tools
- Niche product, Unattractive interface
OrgPlus 6 Professional is a solid package if org charts are your thing
Price$ 396.30 (AUD)
HumanConcepts' OrgPlus 6 Professional is a well-trained one-trick pony. And it does that one trick -- creating organizational charts -- very well, once you take the time to get familiar with the program.
A graphics package with spreadsheet capabilities, OrgPlus is geared toward presenting employee data. You could chart other things -- ideas or workflow -- using its ample drawing, alignment, and formatting tools, but you would not be taking full advantage of the app. We tested a prerelease version of OrgPlus 6 Professional, designed to chart 100 to 1000 employees.
You can loosely break up the program's new features into formatting, data manipulation, and distribution tools. Formatting enhancements include a free-form tool for putting a box anywhere on the page. This tool matches a corresponding one in Microsoft Visio, OrgPlus's main competitor. You can collapse multiple boxes into a single box to save screen space, and you can add pictures to boxes.
Hotspots and more
Hotspots let you add data to a chart without cluttering it up. After you include specific employee information in the hotspot, you can then assign the hotspot to an area of one or more chart boxes. When you mouse over the designated box area (and wait a few seconds), this information appears in a rollover graphic.
You can import data easily from Excel and ODBC databases using the Import Data wizard. Once in OrgPlus, the data populates the fields, and the app creates a hierarchical chart. In the window's right pane, you can then manipulate how you view and work with different subsets of data.
New to OrgPlus 6 is the ability to use Boolean-like parameters to search through fields to create custom reports; unfortunately, you can't save the parameters of a search. The new version has improved its Excel-style formulas and added context-sensitive chart legends, too. A legend could note, for example, that the box for any employee who makes over $100,000 is highlighted in red. OrgPlus also lets you combine multiple division charts into one large chart.
We found OrgPlus easy to use once we read the Help menu tutorials and waded through the 412-page PDF manual (boxed copies have a printed manual). These aids helped us overcome the software's penchant for burying features deep in menus and behind unintuitive toolbar button icons. The interface is functional but not pretty; ditto for the templates and graphic formatting. Though we tested the program on a fairly robust desktop PC, the software was sluggish when we handled large charts, and we encountered a few screen refresh snafus. HumanConcepts says it has no other reported instances of these issues and suspects a software conflict on our PC.
OrgPlus 6 Professional is a solid package. If org charts are your thing, get it. If you use OrgPlus 5 Professional and have to massage and present large data sets aggregated from multiple divisions, version 6 is a worthy upgrade.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Goodbye Google Now, hello new feed that obsessively track your interests
- How to deal with “Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC” error
- Net Neutrality: The July 12 Internet-Wide Day of Action protest and what to expect
- Google Assistant: 5 killer new features you should be using
- Microsoft apologizes after a rogue Windows 10 preview build causes chaos
PCW Evaluation Team
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
- Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- GAMOSPHERE: Your August Roundup of Gaming News
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTApplication Support Team Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- FTSystem EngineerNSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst (Infrastructure Hardware)ACT
- FTManager, Integration Systems & BINSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperWA
- FTAndroid DeveloperOther
- TPIntermediate ICT Business AnalystQLD
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTBI Platform ManagerOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTPayment Systems DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Dynamics CRM DeveloperACT
- FTVCE EngineerOther
- FTOperations Orchestration SpecialistACT
- CCSenior Python DeveloperVIC
- FTDesktop Support EngineerACT
- FTIT Field Services Manager -NationalOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BrisbaneNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - RoboticsNSW