HumanConcepts OrgPlus 6 Professional
- Works well, Powerful tools
- Niche product, Unattractive interface
OrgPlus 6 Professional is a solid package if org charts are your thing
Price$ 396.30 (AUD)
HumanConcepts' OrgPlus 6 Professional is a well-trained one-trick pony. And it does that one trick -- creating organizational charts -- very well, once you take the time to get familiar with the program.
A graphics package with spreadsheet capabilities, OrgPlus is geared toward presenting employee data. You could chart other things -- ideas or workflow -- using its ample drawing, alignment, and formatting tools, but you would not be taking full advantage of the app. We tested a prerelease version of OrgPlus 6 Professional, designed to chart 100 to 1000 employees.
You can loosely break up the program's new features into formatting, data manipulation, and distribution tools. Formatting enhancements include a free-form tool for putting a box anywhere on the page. This tool matches a corresponding one in Microsoft Visio, OrgPlus's main competitor. You can collapse multiple boxes into a single box to save screen space, and you can add pictures to boxes.
Hotspots and more
Hotspots let you add data to a chart without cluttering it up. After you include specific employee information in the hotspot, you can then assign the hotspot to an area of one or more chart boxes. When you mouse over the designated box area (and wait a few seconds), this information appears in a rollover graphic.
You can import data easily from Excel and ODBC databases using the Import Data wizard. Once in OrgPlus, the data populates the fields, and the app creates a hierarchical chart. In the window's right pane, you can then manipulate how you view and work with different subsets of data.
New to OrgPlus 6 is the ability to use Boolean-like parameters to search through fields to create custom reports; unfortunately, you can't save the parameters of a search. The new version has improved its Excel-style formulas and added context-sensitive chart legends, too. A legend could note, for example, that the box for any employee who makes over $100,000 is highlighted in red. OrgPlus also lets you combine multiple division charts into one large chart.
We found OrgPlus easy to use once we read the Help menu tutorials and waded through the 412-page PDF manual (boxed copies have a printed manual). These aids helped us overcome the software's penchant for burying features deep in menus and behind unintuitive toolbar button icons. The interface is functional but not pretty; ditto for the templates and graphic formatting. Though we tested the program on a fairly robust desktop PC, the software was sluggish when we handled large charts, and we encountered a few screen refresh snafus. HumanConcepts says it has no other reported instances of these issues and suspects a software conflict on our PC.
OrgPlus 6 Professional is a solid package. If org charts are your thing, get it. If you use OrgPlus 5 Professional and have to massage and present large data sets aggregated from multiple divisions, version 6 is a worthy upgrade.
Join the newsletter!
Bitdefender’s best-in-class security solutions have been awarded Product of the Year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Businesses jump on Amazon’s Alexa after Australian launch date revealed
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Five 2017 flagship smartphones that are now less than $900
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCUDS DeveloperNSW
- TPPMO AnalystNSW
- FTJava AWS DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTSAS Senior DeveloperOther
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Program ManagerOther
- FTOnboarding Specialist / Service Design - ITIL | ServiceNowOther
- TPSystem AnalystACT
- CCX2 BPE Managers - TelcoVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTLead Business Analyst - Senior Digital ConsultantACT
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Scheduling & Planning (Primavera & MSP)Other
- CCCloud ArchitectVIC
- CCXamarin .Net DeveloperQLD
- CCIntegration Developer - Port MacquarieQLD
- TPSecurity and Risk ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack Developer - Blue Chip CompanyOther
- FTSnr MS SQL Developer- Australian only- security clearanceOther
- FTSoftware/Application Development EngineerQLD
- TPLinux Automation EngineerQLD
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- CCLSS Black Belt ConsultantVIC