Huawei Ascend D Quad XL Android phone (preview)
Huawei's Ascend D Quad XL aims for 2-3 days of battery life
- Large 2500mAh battery
- Quad-core processor
- IPS HD display
- Large battery adds thickness
- No Australian release date
Huawei's Ascend D Quad XL promises up to three days of battery life thanks to a huge 2500mAh battery. We'll be keen to put these figures to the test if or when it eventually makes its way to Australia.
Modern day smartphones pack plenty of technology into a small package, which is why most of them struggle to last a full day before needing a recharge. Huawei is aiming to change that with the Ascend D Quad XL, an Android phone that promises up to three days of battery life.
The key feature of the Huawei Ascend D Quad XL is obviously its huge 2500mAh battery. This is significantly larger than most other smartphone batteries on the market including the popular Samsung Galaxy S III (2100mAh).
A 400mAh difference doesn't sound like much between these smartphones, but Huawei says the inclusion of proprietary energy management software on the Ascend D Quad XL is the key to its longer life. We're not sure how accurate Huawei's three day figures are (we'd honestly be surprised if the battery lasted more than a full day), but it would be a hugely impressive feat if it worked as advertised.
Aside from its large battery, the Huawei Ascend D Quad XL boasts pretty impressive specifications. It is powered by the company's in-house developed processor, the 1.5GHz quad-core K3 V2 chip, and has a 4.5in screen with a 720p HD resolution. The larger battery means the Ascend D Quad XL (10.9mm) is slightly thicker than the very similar Ascend D Quad (8.9mm). It's also a little heavier at 150g.
The Ascend D Quad XL's IPS+ display has a pixels per inch (ppi) rating of 326ppi, equal with the iPhone 4S (326ppi) and ahead of both the Samsung Galaxy S III (306ppi) and the HTC One X (312ppi). This impressive ppi figure means the Ascend D Quad XL should display a very high level of detail that will make individual pixels on the screen hard to distinguish.
Other features of the Huawei Ascend D Quad XL include an 8-megapixel rear camera that doubles as a full HD 1080p video recorder and a front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera that can record 720p HD video. There's only 8GB of internal memory but a microSD card slot means this can be expanded.
Huawei hasn't yet revealed whether the Ascend D Quad XL will be released in Australia.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic launches new Windows powered Toughpad
- Oppo release limited Barcelona FC version of R11 flagship
- 3SIXT Reveals iPhone X Offering
- ALDI Mobile Ups Stakes in the Telco Industry
- Tech21 Unveils New Phone Protection for Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - POS/DesktopOther
- FTHadoop DeveloperACT
- CCFeature Team Lead/Technology SpecialistVIC
- FTService Request ManagerSA
- FTCommunication SpecialistOther
- FTLevel 3 Desktop EngineerOther
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- FTTest Engineer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- FTSharepoint ConsultantOther
- CCDynamics CRM Business AnalystNSW
- CCJava Developer- API &Micro servicesNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Testing/Technical WritingOther
- FTBusiness Analyst / Change AnalystOther
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)NSW
- CCDevOps Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- FTUser Experience (UX) SpecialistACT
- FTHead of Business Operations - SaaS Product CompanyNSW
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Sydney BasedNSW
- CCDatabase Administrator - BrisbaneVIC
- FTDeployment Analyst / Customer Service - Minchinbury NSWOther
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerVIC