Huawei Ascend D Quad XL Android phone (preview)
Huawei's Ascend D Quad XL aims for 2-3 days of battery life
- Large 2500mAh battery
- Quad-core processor
- IPS HD display
- Large battery adds thickness
- No Australian release date
Huawei's Ascend D Quad XL promises up to three days of battery life thanks to a huge 2500mAh battery. We'll be keen to put these figures to the test if or when it eventually makes its way to Australia.
Modern day smartphones pack plenty of technology into a small package, which is why most of them struggle to last a full day before needing a recharge. Huawei is aiming to change that with the Ascend D Quad XL, an Android phone that promises up to three days of battery life.
The key feature of the Huawei Ascend D Quad XL is obviously its huge 2500mAh battery. This is significantly larger than most other smartphone batteries on the market including the popular Samsung Galaxy S III (2100mAh).
A 400mAh difference doesn't sound like much between these smartphones, but Huawei says the inclusion of proprietary energy management software on the Ascend D Quad XL is the key to its longer life. We're not sure how accurate Huawei's three day figures are (we'd honestly be surprised if the battery lasted more than a full day), but it would be a hugely impressive feat if it worked as advertised.
Aside from its large battery, the Huawei Ascend D Quad XL boasts pretty impressive specifications. It is powered by the company's in-house developed processor, the 1.5GHz quad-core K3 V2 chip, and has a 4.5in screen with a 720p HD resolution. The larger battery means the Ascend D Quad XL (10.9mm) is slightly thicker than the very similar Ascend D Quad (8.9mm). It's also a little heavier at 150g.
The Ascend D Quad XL's IPS+ display has a pixels per inch (ppi) rating of 326ppi, equal with the iPhone 4S (326ppi) and ahead of both the Samsung Galaxy S III (306ppi) and the HTC One X (312ppi). This impressive ppi figure means the Ascend D Quad XL should display a very high level of detail that will make individual pixels on the screen hard to distinguish.
Other features of the Huawei Ascend D Quad XL include an 8-megapixel rear camera that doubles as a full HD 1080p video recorder and a front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera that can record 720p HD video. There's only 8GB of internal memory but a microSD card slot means this can be expanded.
Huawei hasn't yet revealed whether the Ascend D Quad XL will be released in Australia.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Huawei go big on AI, announce Mate 10 + Mate 10 Pro
- Huawei's flagship tech trickles down to mid-tier with new Nova 2i smartphone
- Sony Bring Xperia XZ1 to NZ
- Incipio Adds Pixel 2 Cases To Roster
- Survey: 20% of Aussie Apple users wouldn't switch to Android for a million dollars
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior SQL DeveloperOther
- FTSystems AnalystSA
- FTOffice 365 Technical SpecialistOther
- CCSAP WCEM/Java DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst (SAP Application )Other
- FTProgram Director - Consulting FirmACT
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT
- FTTransport EngineerOther
- FTDevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTJunior iOS DeveloperWA
- FTAgile Business Analyst, MarketingOther
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Digital Producer | 6 Month Contract roleNSW
- CCSystems AnalystVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperOther
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- FTJunior / Mid Level .Net DeveloperOther
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- CCSenior Change ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW