Huawei Ascend D2 Android phone (preview)
The dust and water resistant Huawei Ascend D2 has a full HD 5in display
- 5in Full HD display
- Dust and water resistant
- Large 3000mAh battery
- Not really thin or light
- No 4G connectivity
- No AU ETA
The Huawei Ascend D2 boasts a full HD 5in display, has dust and water resistant capabilities and is equipped with a 13-megapixel camera. However, there's no word if or when it will be released Down Under.
Huawei is still building its brand in Australia and has previously focussed on lower-end smartphones at affordable prices. Its latest offering, however, is the Ascend D2 Android phone and it has been designed to compete at the top-end of the market. The Huawei Ascend D2 boasts a full HD 5in display, has dust and water resistant capabilities and is equipped with a 13-megapixel camera.
Full HD screens are clearly going to be the number one feature when it comes to smartphone specs in 2013 and the Huawei Ascend D2 doesn't buck this trend. It features a 5in full HD IPS+ screen that boasts a pixel density rating of 443ppi. While the 1920x1080 resolution is set to become a standard feature on flagship smartphones released this year, that doesn't make it any less impressive.
Huawei has followed the Sony Xperia Z's lead with the Ascend D2, as the phone is dust and water resistant. Along with a screen that's coated in Gorilla glass, the Ascend D2 should be able to withstand some harsh user treatment. The phone is constructed using a combination of an aluminum body, a metal frame and glossy plastics. Naturally, the ports are covered in flaps to ensure water resistance.
The Ascend D2's 5in screen means it is far from the thinnest or lightest smartphone on the market. It weighs a rather hefty 170g and is 9.9mm thick — by comparison, the Xperia Z weighs less than 150g and is only 7.9mm thick. Huawei says the Ascend D2 will be available in 'pure white' and 'crystal blue' colours.
Huawei will launch the Ascend D2 with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) but the company is likely to upgrade the phone to the latest 4.2 version in the coming months. Like the larger Ascend Mate, the Ascend D2's software is skinned with Huawei's Emotion UI. There are a few interesting features including a redesigned set of icons and the lack of an applications drawer. Instead, all apps sit either on the home screens or the dock.
The Ascend D2 comes with a 3000mAh battery and Huawei says that built-in software automatically turns off the transmitter circuit when data transmission is not in use. According to the company, this reduces power consumption during standby mode by over 20 per cent. In addition, Huawei promises the Ascend D2 can be fully charged in less time than other smartphones, though the company hasn't clarified this claim any further.
The Huawei Ascend D2 is powered by the company's own K3V2 1.5 GHz quad-core processor, has 2GB of RAM and comes with 32GB of internal memory. However, there's no microSD card slot for extra storage and no 4G connectivity. Other features include a 13-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video calls.
The Ascend D2 will go on sale in China later this month but there's been no word yet on if or when it will be officially launched in Australia.
A promotional video of the Huawei Ascend D2 can be viewed below.
• Huawei Ascend Mate preview
• Huawei's D1 quad ascends into JB Hi-Fi
• Huawei Ascend P1 review
• Huawei bolsters pre-paid range with Vodafone
• Huawei Ascend P1 arrives late, gets no telco love
• Huawei Ascend G300 review
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Panasonic launches new Windows powered Toughpad
- Oppo release limited Barcelona FC version of R11 flagship
- 3SIXT Reveals iPhone X Offering
- ALDI Mobile Ups Stakes in the Telco Industry
- Tech21 Unveils New Phone Protection for Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- FTWebMethods DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPAurion Business AnalystQLD
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- TPSenior Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- TPPHP DeveloperWA
- FTBusiness Development Manager - ERP SystemsNSW
- CCApplication Developer - Sterling IntegratorVIC
- FTProcess Specialist x 2Other
- FTEnd User Support OfficerSA
- FTSenior Network Operations EngineerSA
- FTSenior BA Wealth ADVICEOther
- FTFront End DesignerOther
- FTSenior Unica DeveloperOther
- TPTechnical AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerOther
- CCNetwork Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTJunior Business Intelligence Analyst - Power BIOther
- FTSenior Project Manager - Dynamics CRMOther
- FTSAP Integration ManagerOther