HTC Velocity 4G Android phone
HTC Velocity 4G review: Australia's first 4G smartphone is fast, but coverage is limited
- 4G speeds and HSPA+ dual-channel
- Excellent build quality
- Good performance
- 4G coverage is limited
- Android 4.0 update in progress
The HTC Velocity 4G is definitely the fastest phone on the Australian market, even when you're outside of a 4G coverage zone. However, we don't feel the speed increase is significant enough to warrant choosing it over some of its competitors. Putting aside 4G, the HTC Velocity is an excellent smartphone, but it offers largely the same features we've seen in HTC phones over the past six months.
Price$ 864.00 (AUD)
HTC Velocity 4G: Software and performance
The HTC Velocity 4G looks and works like much like most other HTC phones. It runs the Android 2.3 "Gingerbread" OS and is skinned with HTC's Sense UI. While Sense has plenty of eye candy including fancy scrolling animations and home screen widgets, we much prefer Google's vanilla UI. This will come down to a matter of personal opinion though: if you like the software on HTC's current Android phones then you'll definitely appreciate it on the Velocity 4G.
All the usual features of HTC Sense are available on the Velocity 4G. You can remove home screens if you don't use them (there are seven by default), the lock screen comes with four customisable shortcuts, along with the ability to display a widget in the middle of the screen, and there's also a 3D rotating effect when scrolling between home screens. Your eight most recently opened applications, quick settings toggles and a link to all phone settings all remain at the top of the notifications panel.
A 1.5GHz dual-core processor makes the Velocity 4G a fast phone, but performance should only improve once it is upgraded to the latest version of Google's Android software, 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich". One of the major improvements in the new software is Web page rendering and faster loading times in the browser. Telstra says the Velocity 4G should be upgraded to ICS "within six weeks", though we wouldn't hold our breath for that exact time frame.
HTC Velocity 4G: Camera, battery life, availability
The HTC Velocity 4G has an excellent camera. It's an 8-megapixel, backside-illuminated sensor that promises better low light photos. We found the dual-LED flash washed out many of our photos, but colour reproduction is a highlight. The camera app starts almost instantly and is quick to snap successive photos, though it's admittedly not as quick as the shutter on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The camera doubles as a full HD 1080p video recorder, while the 1.2-megapixel front camera impressively records 720p HD video.
The HTC Velocity 4G has below average battery life: it struggled to last a full day with constant 4G coverage, though you should be able to get almost a day of use if you're in a regular 3G coverage zone. We've become accustomed to charging our smartphones before the end of the day, and the Velocity 4G is no exception.
The HTC Velocity 4G is available for $0 upfront on Telstra's $79 Freedom Connect plan, which includes $800 worth of calls and MMS, unlimited SMS and 2GB of data per month. month. The Velocity 4G is also available on a number of business plans.
Join the newsletter!
Bitdefender’s best-in-class security solutions have been awarded Product of the Year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Boost Mobile Connects With World Surf League
- Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ Awarded Telstra Blue Tick Certification
- HTC to bring U11 Life to Australia next week
- Woolworths Will Be Offering $150 Off Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+
- Boost unveils new and improved Anytime Plus mobile plans
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTService Management LeadOther
- FTProject Manager - ERP implementationOther
- TPSenior Solution ArchitectACT
- CCProduct Owner - TelcoVIC
- FTOBIEE DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Supply Chain / LogisiticsVIC
- FTSalesforce/CRM Product Owner (CSPO)Other
- TPFinance Integration LeadQLD
- CCCisco Test SpecialistVIC
- FTIT Security EngineerOther
- CCLead Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Security SpecialistOther
- FTSales Training Coordinator / Systems TrainingNSW
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- FTServiceNow- Platform DesignerOther
- CCSystem Administrator (TRIM)QLD
- FTPeopleSoft Business AnalystNSW
- FTField Supervisor - Pit RemediationVIC
- FTSystem AdministratorOther
- FTApplication Support Analyst- SMSF AdministratorOther
- CCFull Stack Web DeveloperQLD
- FTSignalling Project ManagerWA
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTHelp desk Support AnalystOther