HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m inkjet multifunction
HP has employed Touchsmart technology in this inkjet multifunction printer
- Produces great photos, Touchsmart control panel is responsive, Snapfish by HP access, automatic duplexing
- Can't print document files directly from USB drives and memory cards, inconsistent Wi-Fi access, no CD/DVD printing, no scan settings on control panel, expensive consumables
The HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m is great for printing photos, both from memory cards and HP's Snapfish service. However, it lacks several features and we had some issues when connecting to a wireless network.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
HP's Photosmart Premium C309g-m offers many of the features you would expect from an inkjet multifunction in this price range, like Wi-Fi, advanced photo printing functions and even a touch screen. However, it lacks CD/DVD printing and we experienced issues when connecting to a wireless network.
The HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m connects over USB, Ethernet, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (when using Wi-Fi you can only join existing networks, not create ad hoc ones). Once configured, we found the Photosmart Premium C309g-m would periodically disconnect from our Wi-Fi network after a period of inactivity, and could only be used wirelessly after first waking the printer. We aren't the only ones to experience this issue, either.
The multifunction's memory card reader supports MemoryStick, SD and xD cards and its USB port can read from both flash drives and PictBridge-compatible cameras and mobile phones. You can scan to, and print photos from, both cards and flash drives, but the printer won't recognise documents or PDFs.
There is a separate photo tray, so you can keep A4 and 4x6in media in the HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m at the same time, and the automatic duplexer lets you print double-sided documents. However, unlike the Photosmart Premium C309a there is no direct CD/DVD printing or automatic document feeder.
The HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m features a 3.45in touch screen based on the same technology found in HP's Touchsmart PCs. The panel is bright, colourful and very responsive. Like the Lexmark Prestige Pro805 the panel's quick access buttons only light up when a particular function is useable.
The Photosmart Premium's Touchsmart panel lets you log in to your Snapfish by HP account
You can use the Touchsmart panel to access Snapfish by HP, an online photo storage and printing service. From the Photosmart Premium C309g-m inkjet multifunction you can view and edit your Snapfish photos and upload more from memory cards and flash drives. You can also print photos in a variety of sizes including wallet, postcard and even panoramas. Loading album thumbnails for the first time slows down the printer, but they subsequently load much faster.
|Print Speed Results|
|A4 photo |
|HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m||$299||Inkjet||18.5||10||16.2||5.6||26||1m 8s|
|HP Photosmart Premium C309a||$399||Inkjet||17.6||9.4||15.7||5.6||26||1m 9s|
|Canon PIXMA MP640||$299||Inkjet||10.4||8.7||5.7||3.8||32||52s|
|Canon PIXMA MP630||$299||Inkjet||10.3||7.3||6.6||3.5||17.8||49s|
|Epson Stylus Photo TX700W||$299||Inkjet||24.2||8.7||25||8.9||28.6||1m 17s|
|Kodak ESP 7||$299||Inkjet||12.4||3.9||11.8||3.1||37.1||2|
|HP Officejet 6500 Wireless||$299||Inkjet||17.3||9.5||17.1||5.9||27.7||1m 15s|
HP's Photosmart Premium C309g-m managed reasonable print speeds in all of our tests and produced readable output even at draft quality. Thanks to its print resolution of 9600x2400dpi, this multifunction printer produces very accurate text documents, though at 7pt the characters lose clarity slightly. Graphics combine with text well and don't look inky. Photos are vibrant and detailed, with black levels that made our monochrome test photo look great. This multifunction printer definitely excels at photo printing, though it is capable of producing high quality documents and graphics on matte media as well.
Unfortunately, this print quality comes at price — 25.3c per A4 page, to be precise.
Scans can be initiated from the control panel to memory cards, flash drives and computers, though we were unable to initiate a scan to a computer connected via USB or Wi-Fi. The HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m has an optical scan resolution of 4800dpi but as there is no way to change scan settings directly from the control panel, so you are stuck with the standard — and rather low quality — settings when using the printer directly.
Those looking to access online photos and produce high-quality printouts will enjoy using the HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m, particularly thanks to the responsive touch screen. However, it isn't as versatile as Canon's PIXMA MP640 and difficulties with wireless networking can be frustrating.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Analyst - Security / DevOpsOther
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTRecruitment Consultant - Major AccountsOther
- FTSenior Citrix Engineer / LeadNSW
- TPSenior Communications ManagerACT
- TPSenior Java Developer - Mulesoft IntegrationQLD
- FTSenior Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTProject Manager or Coordinator - Retail Store ProjectsOther
- FTBusiness Development ManagerOther
- FTProject Manager or Coordinator - Retail Store ProjectsOther
- FTSenior Project Manager- Cloud- AWS, Office 365- PRINCE2Other
- FTDigital ProducerOther
- FTDirector ICT Programme Management Office – Adelaide Delivery CentreSA
- CCSenior Network Architect - CloudVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- CCTechnical Specialist - VirtualisationVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTApplication Support EngineerACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - Activation and Assurance - TelcoVIC
- FTRelocate to Perth for Technology OpportunitiesQLD
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystOther
- FTITIL Change Management SpecialistOther
- FTSoftware Development ManagerACT
- TPInformation Security ManagerQLD
- FTService Desk EngineerNSW