HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m inkjet multifunction
HP has employed Touchsmart technology in this inkjet multifunction printer
- Produces great photos, Touchsmart control panel is responsive, Snapfish by HP access, automatic duplexing
- Can't print document files directly from USB drives and memory cards, inconsistent Wi-Fi access, no CD/DVD printing, no scan settings on control panel, expensive consumables
The HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m is great for printing photos, both from memory cards and HP's Snapfish service. However, it lacks several features and we had some issues when connecting to a wireless network.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
HP's Photosmart Premium C309g-m offers many of the features you would expect from an inkjet multifunction in this price range, like Wi-Fi, advanced photo printing functions and even a touch screen. However, it lacks CD/DVD printing and we experienced issues when connecting to a wireless network.
The HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m connects over USB, Ethernet, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (when using Wi-Fi you can only join existing networks, not create ad hoc ones). Once configured, we found the Photosmart Premium C309g-m would periodically disconnect from our Wi-Fi network after a period of inactivity, and could only be used wirelessly after first waking the printer. We aren't the only ones to experience this issue, either.
The multifunction's memory card reader supports MemoryStick, SD and xD cards and its USB port can read from both flash drives and PictBridge-compatible cameras and mobile phones. You can scan to, and print photos from, both cards and flash drives, but the printer won't recognise documents or PDFs.
There is a separate photo tray, so you can keep A4 and 4x6in media in the HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m at the same time, and the automatic duplexer lets you print double-sided documents. However, unlike the Photosmart Premium C309a there is no direct CD/DVD printing or automatic document feeder.
The HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m features a 3.45in touch screen based on the same technology found in HP's Touchsmart PCs. The panel is bright, colourful and very responsive. Like the Lexmark Prestige Pro805 the panel's quick access buttons only light up when a particular function is useable.
The Photosmart Premium's Touchsmart panel lets you log in to your Snapfish by HP account
You can use the Touchsmart panel to access Snapfish by HP, an online photo storage and printing service. From the Photosmart Premium C309g-m inkjet multifunction you can view and edit your Snapfish photos and upload more from memory cards and flash drives. You can also print photos in a variety of sizes including wallet, postcard and even panoramas. Loading album thumbnails for the first time slows down the printer, but they subsequently load much faster.
|Print Speed Results|
|A4 photo |
|HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m||$299||Inkjet||18.5||10||16.2||5.6||26||1m 8s|
|HP Photosmart Premium C309a||$399||Inkjet||17.6||9.4||15.7||5.6||26||1m 9s|
|Canon PIXMA MP640||$299||Inkjet||10.4||8.7||5.7||3.8||32||52s|
|Canon PIXMA MP630||$299||Inkjet||10.3||7.3||6.6||3.5||17.8||49s|
|Epson Stylus Photo TX700W||$299||Inkjet||24.2||8.7||25||8.9||28.6||1m 17s|
|Kodak ESP 7||$299||Inkjet||12.4||3.9||11.8||3.1||37.1||2|
|HP Officejet 6500 Wireless||$299||Inkjet||17.3||9.5||17.1||5.9||27.7||1m 15s|
HP's Photosmart Premium C309g-m managed reasonable print speeds in all of our tests and produced readable output even at draft quality. Thanks to its print resolution of 9600x2400dpi, this multifunction printer produces very accurate text documents, though at 7pt the characters lose clarity slightly. Graphics combine with text well and don't look inky. Photos are vibrant and detailed, with black levels that made our monochrome test photo look great. This multifunction printer definitely excels at photo printing, though it is capable of producing high quality documents and graphics on matte media as well.
Unfortunately, this print quality comes at price — 25.3c per A4 page, to be precise.
Scans can be initiated from the control panel to memory cards, flash drives and computers, though we were unable to initiate a scan to a computer connected via USB or Wi-Fi. The HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m has an optical scan resolution of 4800dpi but as there is no way to change scan settings directly from the control panel, so you are stuck with the standard — and rather low quality — settings when using the printer directly.
Those looking to access online photos and produce high-quality printouts will enjoy using the HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m, particularly thanks to the responsive touch screen. However, it isn't as versatile as Canon's PIXMA MP640 and difficulties with wireless networking can be frustrating.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- Microsoft's Surface Book 2 has a power problem
- This week in games: Battlefront II disables microtransactions, Total War goes to Britain
- Star Wars: Battlefront II review: The Dark Side
- iMovie 10 review: Free video editing that's elegant and easy
- Buffered VPN review: It gets the job done
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCAdvisory Project Manager - Infrastructure Services.QLD
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCService management Business AnalystNSW
- FTAutomation Test EngineerOther
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- FTNetwork ArchitectNSW
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AdviceOther
- CCSAP Subject Matter ExpertQLD
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Banking , Finance backgroundOther
- FTUI Designer | ContractOther
- TPIT Cloud EngineerNSW
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperQLD
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectOther
- FTAutomation Framework DeveloperVIC
- FTArchsight Delivery ConsultantVIC
- FTJava DevelopersOther
- CCArchitect ? Office 365 MigrationQLD
- FTDigital Content Manager | AEM , HTML and CSSOther
- FTGraduate Software Automation Test AnalystWA
- FTSr. IT Business Analyst -Investment banking Funding StructureOther
- FTSenior Project Manager- Infrastructure & Application upgradeOther