HP Photosmart Premium C309a
HP has packed this Photosmart multifunction printer range full of features.
- Comprehensive connectivity, automatic duplexing, great photo print quality, fast printing
- Small LCD screen, can't broadcast separate Wi-Fi network
With a host of features, the HP Photosmart Premium C309a multifunction printer is a great option for almost any task. Though not perfect, not much is wrong with this printer.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
HP packs more features into the Photosmart Premium C309a than you can poke a stick at. With premium pricing to match its moniker, this multifunction printer's core strength is its diverse range of abilities. Although it isn't the perfect photo printer, it will provide decent results for families and home offices.
With a gloss white finish, the HP Photosmart Premium C309a multifunction printer could be mistaken for an Apple product. It offers direct printing from MemoryStick and MemoryStick DUO, CompactFlash, SD, xD and a PictBridge USB port. Connectivity options include a USB port, Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. For the business-minded, HP has added a fax, an automatic document feeder and, most surprisingly, an automatic duplexing unit for double-sided printing.
Wi-Fi is limited to existing wireless networks; you can't create a new ad-hoc network. Bluetooth direct printing is almost too easy — once paired to a mobile phone, the Photosmart Premium C309a will automatically print any photos sent to it (this prevents any editing of photos received via Bluetooth, however).
Like the HP Photosmart C6380 multifunction printer, the Photosmart Premium C309a separates 4x6in photo paper from standard A4 media by using a motorised photo tray. The CD/DVD printing palette slots neatly into the media input tray.
We prefer Canon's Easy Scroll Wheel (as found on the PIXMA MP980) to the small buttons on the HP Photosmart Premium C309a but navigation is still straightforward. Basic photo editing capabilities allow you to rotate, crop and fix red eye issues prior to printing, but the 2.5in LCD display is a little restrictive.
The print speeds of the HP Photosmart Premium C309A fall short of those attained by the Epson Stylus Photo TX800FW, but it is still quite fast. It manages to print the first page of draft mono documents in 10.4sec (it takes 16.9sec when printing draft colour documents). It prints draft mono documents at an average 17.6 pages per minute; it averages 9.4ppm when using normal quality. Colour documents are slightly slower at 15.7ppm in draft mode and 5.6ppm when using normal quality.
Standard 4x6in photos were fast, taking 26sec, while an A4 photo took roughly 1min 9sec. Unfortunately, although it's quite fast the HP Photosmart Premium C309a is one of the noisiest printers we've reviewed.
The HP Photosmart Premium C309a has a maximum hardware print resolution of 9600x2400dpi, but mono printing is restricted to 600x600dpi. This is a common restriction in home multifunction printers, and it limits the quality of text documents. Although text is readable and lacks aberrations, characters aren't defined or accurate enough to be considered laser quality. Reducing the text to 7pt size causes slightly blurry letters.
The Photosmart Premium C309a multifunction printer delivers vivid colours that work well in documents. In photos, colours are comparatively toned down but the accuracy is still adequate. Thankfully, there are no banding or image noise problems in photos. Scanned images are detailed and have accurate colours.
The HP Photosmart Premium 309a's running costs don't quite rival those of laser printers. Though 21.2c per A4 page (using high yield cartridges) is a reasonable figure, it isn't the cheapest inkjet multifunction either.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical Support OfficerOther
- FTHR Analyst - Remuneration & PerformanceOther
- FTService Desk Technical LeadNSW
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- CCDigital Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTWeb Developer - Drupal 7 or iApplyNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperOther
- FTProject Co-OrdinatorOther
- TPProject Director - Cloud - Qld HealthQLD
- FTScrum MasterOther
- TPLead Data Business AnalystQLD
- FTPython Developer - FinTech/TradingOther
- TPProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTBuild Support OfficerOther
- TPDigital Business AnalystVIC
- CCJunior Website AdministratorACT
- TPProject ServicesACT
- FTSenior Network ConsultantOther
- CCPricing AdministratorVIC
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- FTIT Security Assurance AnalystOther
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperQLD
- CCCommunications Business Analyst - LTE / 4G / 3GWA