HP Photosmart Plus (B209a-m) inkjet multifunction
HP's mid-range inkjet multifunction printer has integrated wireless networking
- Prints quickly, touch-screen control panel, integrated Wi-Fi
- Touch screen is too small, poor photo print quality, expensive consumables, no CD/DVD printing, can’t choose quality settings when scanning directly from the multifunction
We were largely disappointed with the HP Photosmart Plus' photo print quality and the inability to select quality settings when initiating a scan from the multifunction itself. It will produce decent quality documents, however.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
HP’s Photosmart Plus (B209a-m) inkjet multifunction is affordably priced and looks good, but it lacks the print quality of competitors — and even of its own predecessors. The touch-sensitive control panel is a nice addition. However, some tasks, like connecting to a wireless router, are more difficult than they should be.
Aimed at the home, the HP Photosmart Plus (B209a-m) lacks an Ethernet connection but can connect to computers over USB or 802.11b/g Wi-Fi. It also has a multi-card reader that supports MemoryStick, SD and and xD media, as well as a PictBridge-capable USB port that can scan to and print from USB flash drives.
The HP Photosmart Plus inkjet multifunction printer boasts a touch-screen control panel, but at just 2.39in it’s small and can be difficult to use. It's also slightly recessed, making it difficult to press buttons on the edge of the screen. You won’t be able to access your Snapfish account like you can with the Photosmart Premium C309g-m, but the control panel has touch-sensitive quick access buttons on either side of the display. A button only lights up when its particular function is usable.
Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) PIN or button-based set up can be accessed directly from the printer, which makes it easy to connect to a compatible wireless router. However, if your router doesn’t support this, you’ll have to initially configure the Photosmart Plus inkjet multifunction’s Wi-Fi support by connecting the printer to a computer. The extra step is disappointing if you only want to use the Wi-Fi interface.
The HP Photosmart Plus printer can hold 125 A4 sheets at a time in a front paper cassette, as well as a further 20 sheets of photo paper in a separate tray. The photo tray is mechanical, so you won’t have to make manual adjustments to use it. Unfortunately, the Photosmart Plus lacks CD/DVD printing and automatic duplexing (double-sided printing), both of which are reserved for the more expensive Photosmart Premium.
|Print Speed Results|
|A4 photo |
|HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m||$219||Inkjet||18.9||11.5||14.2||6.6||24s||1m 9s|
|HP Photosmart C5380||$219||Inkjet||20.6||10.9||18.75||6.3||27||1m 14s|
|Canon PIXMA MP560||$229||Inkjet||10.2||8.7||5||4.6||34s||1m 35s|
|Epson Stylus Office TX610FW||$249||Inkjet||19||15.1||20.1||8.4||57s||2m 40s|
|Canon PIXMA MP640||$299||Inkjet||10.4||8.7||5.7||3.8||32||52s|
|HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m||$299||Inkjet||18.5||10||16.2||5.6||26||1m 8s|
Document print quality is accurate across both small and large font sizes, with no sign of feathering or overuse of ink. The HP Photosmart Plus will even produce decent quality monochrome and colour documents when in draft mode.
The quality of photos is largely disappointing. The colour palette as a whole is under-saturated, particularly when using HP’s own Advanced photo paper. Black and white prints are particularly worrying, as blacks often appear grey and lacking any real depth. At 25.3c per A4 page, these results don’t come cheap.
Though you can access preset profiles from the control panel when scanning to a USB-connected computer, there is no way to change quality or size settings when scanning directly to flash drives and memory cards. Quality is acceptable for basic use.
There are better inkjet multifunctions available for the price of the HP Photosmart Plus. Though the touch-screen control panel can make some functions easier to carry out, the inability to easily configure wireless access or print directly to CDs and DVDs are frustrating omissions.
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCC# Developer (Back-end)VIC
- FTNetwork Support Engineer x2Other
- FTPerformance TesterOther
- FTTraining Coordinator - Sydney CBD (Urgent!!)Other
- FTSenior Business Analyst - BillPayOther
- TPSenior Change ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst / Change AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Applications Specialist- CernerOther
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerOther
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTSupport Analyst/DevOpsVIC
- CCWeb DeveloperACT
- FTSolution Architect - Enterprise VoiceWA
- FTService Design Analyst (Service Management Specialist- ITIL)Other
- FTSenior Business Analyst & Project ManagerOther
- CCProject Manager - Audio VisualNSW
- FTSoftware EngineerSA
- FTMS SQL AdministratorOther
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTBig Data EngineerVIC
- FTNetwork SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Test AnalystQLD