HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus multifuction inkjet printer
HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus review: This inkjet printer from HP produces A4 documents and photos quickly
- Fast draft printing, high quality Normal mode, good paper tray size and feeding options
- Few ePrint apps for businesses
HP's Web-enabled applications platform doesn't offer much in the way of extra value for business users at the moment, but as a medium-volume document printer the HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus is a good choice nonetheless. This inkjet multifunction printer is also able to print high quality A4 photos, albeit slowly.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus is a multifunction inkjet printer aimed at small and medium businesses. It is able to print draft documents very quickly, and can produce high quality pages if you don't mind slower printing. It's also able to produce good quality photo prints.
Don't know which printer to buy? Use our printer finder wizard to pick the right model.
Learn how to pick the best printer for your home or business with our printer buying guide.
HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus multifunction inkjet printer: Design, connectivity and specifications
The HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus is similar to the cheaper Officejet 7500A in design, with a top-mounted scanner and bottom-feeding paper cartridge. Its colour touchscreen control interface is larger than the 7500A at 4.3in, with large icons and responsive input.
Single- and multi-computer offices are well served by the HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus's diverse range of connection options. The printer includes USB 2.0 and Ethernet connections, as well as 802.11n wireless networking. A phone jack is included for connection of the integrated fax.
The HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus has a 250-sheet input tray and a 150-sheet output tray, equalling or bettering many inkjet and laser printers of a similar price point. Along with a 15,000 page monthly duty cycle recommendation, these figures mean the Officejet Pro 8500A Plus is suitable for any small or medium business, as long as it isn't too heavy on paper usage.
Automatic duplex means that for unimportant documents it's easy to cut down on paper requirements. A 50-sheet automatic document feeder makes digitising multi-page documents a simple task. All of these features are a welcome inclusion in a printer that costs under $500.
All of HP's ePrint features are enabled on the Officejet Pro 8500A Plus, including the option to set up an e-mail address that prints all documents sent to it. The range of applications available isn't particularly attractive for businesses — beyond the interesting possibilities of Google Docs cloud storage, the service is limited to printable sudoku and weather data at the moment.
HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus multifunction inkjet printer: Print speed, print quality and ink yields
If you want to quickly print pages, the HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus rivals similarly priced colour laser printers when it is printing in Draft quality mode. We managed 31 pages over a minute when printing at the most efficient monochrome quality, and just under 30 pages in the first minute of colour printing. Text can seem undersaturated and a little fuzzy, but it's still easily legible at sizes of 8pt and above.
Like the Officejet 7500A, printing in Normal quality improves results dramatically. Text rivals entry-level lasers for clarity and we couldn't find any issues with saturation. Colour printing slows to 7 pages per minute, but monochrome production is still acceptable at 15 pages per minute.
We also used the HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus to print a few A4 colour and monochrome prints. The black and white output isn't going to rival a dedicated photo printer like the Canon PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II, but for most print needs it can produce acceptable quality A4 pages.
Four ink cartridges — HP 940 black, cyan, magenta and yellow — means that it's possible to change individual tanks without wasting any ink. HP's cartridges for the Officejet Pro 8500A Plus are more expensive than the HP Officejet 7500A, but they have significantly higher ink yields. You can buy a standard or extra large black cartridge for $39 or $54 respectively, with commensurate 1000- and 2200-page yields which translate into very low 3.9cent and 2.4cent per page ongoing running costs. Only extra large colour cartridge are available for purchase at $39 each, making a full set of inks $117. This means individual colour pages cost 2.7 cents each, and tri-colour pages cost 8.1 cents.
While its built-in applications aren't particularly inspiring or especially relevant to business users, the HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus does well what a printer should do best — it can produce draft prints quickly as well as high quality documents and photos. If you need an all-in-one for your SMB, the Officejet Pro 8500A is worthy of your consideration.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- HP rolls out patch to fix keylogging bug in certain laptops
- Some HP PCs are recording your keystrokes
- Rumor suggests the Note8 will be a bigger S8+ that adds a missing feature
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCPrincipal Project ManagerQLD
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperWA
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTApplication Support EngineerNSW
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- FTCyber Security Technical WriterNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence Test ManagerNSW
- TPChange Management - Multi-stream people change program**NSW
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTCustomer Account Officers x3NSW
- FTData ScientistACT
- FTUX ResearcherVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksNSW
- FTSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- FTSystem Engineer - VMWare, UCS, NetAppVIC
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCReporting System Specialist - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCProject ManagerVIC