HP Officejet 7500A A3+ multifunction inkjet printer
HP Officejet 7500A review: this A3 office multifunction inkjet can print documents quickly and produce high quality photos
- Fast draft printing, good photo quality for A4 and A3 prints, fast and simple operation, low running costs when using XL cartridges
- No automatic duplexing, only 150 sheet input capacity
If you don't mind the small input tray and lack of double-sided printing, HP's Officejet 7500A A3 inkjet multifunction printer is an excellent choice for high quality and large format document printing. It's also able to produce good quality A4 and A3 photo prints.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The HP Officejet 7500A is an A3 multifunction inkjet printer with wireless networking, a range of online printing applications that might appeal to home or business users, and fast printing speeds for both A3 and A4 text documents. Its quality is mediocre in Draft mode, but it is fast. Stepping up to Normal quality offers a noticeable increase in clarity.
Don't know which printer to buy? Use our printer finder wizard to pick the right model.
Learn how to pick the best printer for your home or business with our printer buying guide.
HP Officejet 7500A A3 printer: Design and connectivity
The HP Officejet 7500A is a bulky printer — it has to be in order to fit in an automatic document feeder, flatbed scanner and A3 printer. It doesn't have to feed paper out the back though, so it can be placed up against a wall or partition. It was disappointing not to find automatic duplexing built in, and the input paper tray capacity is low (a maximum of only 150 sheets). Setting the printer up is a simple task thanks to an on-screen guide and easily understood interface, with the entire setup process including a driver install taking under 10 minutes.
Any home office or small business should be more than satisfied with the HP Officejet 7500A's range of connection options. USB 2.0 is fine for connecting a single PC, but the inclusion of wired Ethernet and wireless 802.11n networking means larger offices are easily catered for. A fax is also built in.
HP Officejet 7500A A3 printer: Print quality, print speed, ink and features
The HP Officejet 7500A is a versatile printer for documents up to A3 size. It's able to print quickly in Draft mode, with 33 black or 32 colour pages per minute. For higher quality documents, Normal mode is rated at 10 black ppm and 7 colour ppm. For unimportant documents — e-mails, memos and printouts that will be quickly recycled — Draft mode is perfectly acceptable. Text as small as 8pt is easily legible despite being slightly fuzzy, and over a 50 page print run we were able to achieve 30ppm for both colour and monochrome text.
Normal quality documents are printed significantly slower — we managed 8 black and 5 colour pages over a minute of printing. However, text is much clearer and slightly more saturated. We'd be happy to use documents printed in Normal mode for archival purposes or for presentations.
Despite being designed as a document printer for offices, we were impressed with the quality of the photos we printed at A3 and A4 size with the HP Officejet 7500A. Printing such large sheets does use a lot of ink, but the results are respectable: good detail, even saturation and accurate colour. Dark black areas can tend to appear slightly blue-grey though.
We can see a use for the built-in HP ePrint service for small businesses. If you've got a memo, e-mail or document on a computer that's not directly connected to the HP Officejet 7500A's network it's easy to send it to the Officejet 7500A's e-mail address and have it automatically printed. Setting up HP ePrint is simple — a few prompts on the printer and a short online PC-based signup process are all it takes to enable the e-mail-to-print service. It's simple to use and the online interface keeps track of documents and senders, but we did have a few teething problems printing e-mailed image attachments.
The HP Officejet 7500A uses four ink cartridges, allowing you to change out individual colour tanks without wasting ink. You can buy standard size or extra-large black ink tanks for $27 and $42 respectively, while colour tanks are only available in extra large for $21 each. With a rated page yield of 420 pages from the standard black cartridge, the HP Officejet 7500A has a running cost of 6.4 cents per A4 sheet. Buying an extra large cartridge lowers ongoing costs for black ink to a very low 3.5 cents per page. Colour ink is also cheap — at $63 for all three cartridges with a yield of 700 pages per cartridge, a single colour page costs 3 cents and a full colour page is 9cents.
HP Officejet 7500A A3 printer: Conclusion
If you're running a small business and need A3 printing, you'd be hard-pressed to find another printer that offers a better value proposition than the HP Officejet 7500A. If automatic duplexing isn't important and you can handle the small input tray, it ticks every other box we think is important in a multifunction inkjet printer.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- HP rolls out patch to fix keylogging bug in certain laptops
- Some HP PCs are recording your keystrokes
- Rumor suggests the Note8 will be a bigger S8+ that adds a missing feature
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTNetwork Solution Architect -Telecommunications InfrastructureNSW
- FTTest Analyst (Datawarehouse)SA
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANEQLD
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer - IP routing & switchingNSW
- FTeCommerce Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- FTData Analyst / Reporting SpecialistNSW
- FTLevel 2 Desktop SupportACT
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- FTPMO Quality OfficerNSW
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- PTRecords and Information Management OfficerNSW
- FTManual TesterACT
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- TPBI ConsultantNSW
- FTDigital Developer | LAMP Stack | Digital AgencyNSW
- CCProcurement & Contract SpecialistNSW
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW