HP Officejet 7500A A3+ multifunction inkjet printer
HP Officejet 7500A review: this A3 office multifunction inkjet can print documents quickly and produce high quality photos
- Fast draft printing, good photo quality for A4 and A3 prints, fast and simple operation, low running costs when using XL cartridges
- No automatic duplexing, only 150 sheet input capacity
If you don't mind the small input tray and lack of double-sided printing, HP's Officejet 7500A A3 inkjet multifunction printer is an excellent choice for high quality and large format document printing. It's also able to produce good quality A4 and A3 photo prints.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The HP Officejet 7500A is an A3 multifunction inkjet printer with wireless networking, a range of online printing applications that might appeal to home or business users, and fast printing speeds for both A3 and A4 text documents. Its quality is mediocre in Draft mode, but it is fast. Stepping up to Normal quality offers a noticeable increase in clarity.
Don't know which printer to buy? Use our printer finder wizard to pick the right model.
Learn how to pick the best printer for your home or business with our printer buying guide.
HP Officejet 7500A A3 printer: Design and connectivity
The HP Officejet 7500A is a bulky printer — it has to be in order to fit in an automatic document feeder, flatbed scanner and A3 printer. It doesn't have to feed paper out the back though, so it can be placed up against a wall or partition. It was disappointing not to find automatic duplexing built in, and the input paper tray capacity is low (a maximum of only 150 sheets). Setting the printer up is a simple task thanks to an on-screen guide and easily understood interface, with the entire setup process including a driver install taking under 10 minutes.
Any home office or small business should be more than satisfied with the HP Officejet 7500A's range of connection options. USB 2.0 is fine for connecting a single PC, but the inclusion of wired Ethernet and wireless 802.11n networking means larger offices are easily catered for. A fax is also built in.
HP Officejet 7500A A3 printer: Print quality, print speed, ink and features
The HP Officejet 7500A is a versatile printer for documents up to A3 size. It's able to print quickly in Draft mode, with 33 black or 32 colour pages per minute. For higher quality documents, Normal mode is rated at 10 black ppm and 7 colour ppm. For unimportant documents — e-mails, memos and printouts that will be quickly recycled — Draft mode is perfectly acceptable. Text as small as 8pt is easily legible despite being slightly fuzzy, and over a 50 page print run we were able to achieve 30ppm for both colour and monochrome text.
Normal quality documents are printed significantly slower — we managed 8 black and 5 colour pages over a minute of printing. However, text is much clearer and slightly more saturated. We'd be happy to use documents printed in Normal mode for archival purposes or for presentations.
Despite being designed as a document printer for offices, we were impressed with the quality of the photos we printed at A3 and A4 size with the HP Officejet 7500A. Printing such large sheets does use a lot of ink, but the results are respectable: good detail, even saturation and accurate colour. Dark black areas can tend to appear slightly blue-grey though.
We can see a use for the built-in HP ePrint service for small businesses. If you've got a memo, e-mail or document on a computer that's not directly connected to the HP Officejet 7500A's network it's easy to send it to the Officejet 7500A's e-mail address and have it automatically printed. Setting up HP ePrint is simple — a few prompts on the printer and a short online PC-based signup process are all it takes to enable the e-mail-to-print service. It's simple to use and the online interface keeps track of documents and senders, but we did have a few teething problems printing e-mailed image attachments.
The HP Officejet 7500A uses four ink cartridges, allowing you to change out individual colour tanks without wasting ink. You can buy standard size or extra-large black ink tanks for $27 and $42 respectively, while colour tanks are only available in extra large for $21 each. With a rated page yield of 420 pages from the standard black cartridge, the HP Officejet 7500A has a running cost of 6.4 cents per A4 sheet. Buying an extra large cartridge lowers ongoing costs for black ink to a very low 3.5 cents per page. Colour ink is also cheap — at $63 for all three cartridges with a yield of 700 pages per cartridge, a single colour page costs 3 cents and a full colour page is 9cents.
HP Officejet 7500A A3 printer: Conclusion
If you're running a small business and need A3 printing, you'd be hard-pressed to find another printer that offers a better value proposition than the HP Officejet 7500A. If automatic duplexing isn't important and you can handle the small input tray, it ticks every other box we think is important in a multifunction inkjet printer.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSystem Specialist - Network SystemsOther
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- CCFront End Developer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTPL/ SQL developerOther
- FTDatabase DeveloperOther
- FTEPAS Technical Support OfficerOther
- FTPMO Quality OfficerNSW
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCManual and Automation TesterQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- TPPrincipal Test Lead - SAPQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst TechnicalQLD
- FTCareer transition Specialist | Must be immediately availableOther
- FTSecurity Engineer - SIEMNSW
- FTC# DeveloperOther
- FTSCCM Engineer / SpecialistOther
- FTICT System TrainersACT
- FTSales / Account ManagerOther
- FTSenior Developer (C# .NET SharePoint)Other
- CCSenior Network Architect - CloudVIC
- FTSenior Systems Engineer - Veeam / Shadow ProtectOther
- FTSAP Data Migration Specialists. Work Location - CanberraOther