HP LaserJet P1005
A decent effort by HP
- Good quality printing, easy toner replacement
- Somewhat slow, relatively expensive
HP’s LaserJet P1005 puts its best foot forward. But it’s crippled with slower performance and a more expensive price point than the Brother HL-2140. It’s a good printer, but it simply isn’t competitive enough.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
HP and Brother have been fighting over which of them can produce the best budget mono laser printer since the days of old. Ever since HP's LaserJet 1020 faced off against Brother's HL-2040, Brother has been the reigning champion. With the new LaserJet P1005, HP attempts to claim the crown from Brother's refreshed HL-2140. However, with the Brother unit managing faster print times and better consumable costs, HP's efforts are still insufficient.
Still, HP has made a good effort. Simplicity is the key in mono lasers, and the P1005 certainly succeeds with this. The printer's footprint is small even for a mono laser printer, and it is easy to fit in cramped spaces. However, there is a trade-off — whereas Brother's HL-2140 allows for 250 pages in a closable paper tray, the P1005 fits a relatively meagre 150 pages in a tray that must remain open during use.
Connection is limited to USB 2.0. We would have preferred an Ethernet connection for home and small office networking, and the printer's initial price point certainly justifies its inclusion. Nevertheless, given that the P1005 is pitted squarely against the HL-2140, we're not surprised that Ethernet connectivity is reserved for a more expensive model.
Toner replacement is simple, following the same method as Canon's Laser Shot LBP 3100B — lift up the paper output tray and insert toner. The P1005 will run at an average 6c per page, slightly more expensive than the 4.8c per page accomplished by the HL-2140 but still cost effective.
Speed is this printer's biggest problem. The P1005 only manages 15 pages per minute at its fastest. There is no draft 300dpi mode as found in most laser printers. The speed is adequate for 600dpi printing, but the unit simply doesn't cater for those situations where speed takes priority over quality. Thankfully, printing at 1200dpi doesn't slow it too much more; it averages12ppm at this setting. These speeds, although unrivalled by inkjet printers at the same price point, are easily surpassed by Brother's printers.
The P1005 does provide excellent quality text. Text is clean with no abnormalities, although it is comparatively bolder than the HL-2140 — this makes text slightly fuzzier in dense documents. We prefer the Brother's print quality, but both are more than adequate for standard use.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Insurance domainVIC
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- FTPractice Director Quality AssuranceSA
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTSenior Project Manager- Infrastructure & Application upgradeOther
- FTICT Cloud Transformation Program Coordinator - SAPOther
- FTProject Manager - Rail Industry or Survey or Construction bkgrdOther
- FTSolution Architect - CloudOther
- CCAxway DeveloperACT
- TPTechnical Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTChange ManagerSA
- FTSenior Test Analyst (VIC)Other
- FTStrategic Sourcing ManagerOther
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Application SpecialistNSW
- FTSharepoint DeveloperOther
- CCLevel 1 Help DeskNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTChange Manager, IT & Business ProjectsOther
- FTDevops Engineer X 2 positionsOther
- TPCyber Security ConsultantNSW
- CCCRM DeveloperVIC
- FTApplication Support SpecialistVIC