HP LaserJet P1005
A decent effort by HP
- Good quality printing, easy toner replacement
- Somewhat slow, relatively expensive
HP’s LaserJet P1005 puts its best foot forward. But it’s crippled with slower performance and a more expensive price point than the Brother HL-2140. It’s a good printer, but it simply isn’t competitive enough.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
HP and Brother have been fighting over which of them can produce the best budget mono laser printer since the days of old. Ever since HP's LaserJet 1020 faced off against Brother's HL-2040, Brother has been the reigning champion. With the new LaserJet P1005, HP attempts to claim the crown from Brother's refreshed HL-2140. However, with the Brother unit managing faster print times and better consumable costs, HP's efforts are still insufficient.
Still, HP has made a good effort. Simplicity is the key in mono lasers, and the P1005 certainly succeeds with this. The printer's footprint is small even for a mono laser printer, and it is easy to fit in cramped spaces. However, there is a trade-off — whereas Brother's HL-2140 allows for 250 pages in a closable paper tray, the P1005 fits a relatively meagre 150 pages in a tray that must remain open during use.
Connection is limited to USB 2.0. We would have preferred an Ethernet connection for home and small office networking, and the printer's initial price point certainly justifies its inclusion. Nevertheless, given that the P1005 is pitted squarely against the HL-2140, we're not surprised that Ethernet connectivity is reserved for a more expensive model.
Toner replacement is simple, following the same method as Canon's Laser Shot LBP 3100B — lift up the paper output tray and insert toner. The P1005 will run at an average 6c per page, slightly more expensive than the 4.8c per page accomplished by the HL-2140 but still cost effective.
Speed is this printer's biggest problem. The P1005 only manages 15 pages per minute at its fastest. There is no draft 300dpi mode as found in most laser printers. The speed is adequate for 600dpi printing, but the unit simply doesn't cater for those situations where speed takes priority over quality. Thankfully, printing at 1200dpi doesn't slow it too much more; it averages12ppm at this setting. These speeds, although unrivalled by inkjet printers at the same price point, are easily surpassed by Brother's printers.
The P1005 does provide excellent quality text. Text is clean with no abnormalities, although it is comparatively bolder than the HL-2140 — this makes text slightly fuzzier in dense documents. We prefer the Brother's print quality, but both are more than adequate for standard use.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Miofive 4K Dash Cam review: This friendly road watcher is ‘here for you!’
- 2 Dell U3223QE review: A winning debut for an IPS Black monitor
- 3 Asus TUF Gaming VG28UQL1A review: This 4K monitor plays nice with consoles
- 4 Firewalla Gold review: Powerful home network security in a tiny box
- 5 Acer Aspire 5 review: An affordable laptop that’s enjoyable to use
Latest News Articles
- Canon ink is freaking out after shipping without crucial chips. Here’s how to fix it
- Epson RapidReceipt RR-600W scanner released for home offices
- Epson announces heat-free EcoTank printers
- Canon’s Pixma Endurance has a new name
- Brother pitch themselves at SMBs with new 'Inkvestment' options
PCW Evaluation Team
Set up is effortless.
The strength of the Aruba Instant On AP11D is that the design and feature set support the modern, flexible, and mobile way of working.
Aruba backs the AP11D up with a two-year warranty and 24/7 phone support.
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
- Top 10 best Android and Apple phones for under $600
- 25 Essential Party Games On PC And Console To Play With Family And Friends
- Mesh Wi-Fi vs Traditional Routers: Which is better?
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies