Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies Hydrocar Educational Clean Energy Kit
Slow, expensive and awesome.
- Very involving, highly educational, runs entirely off renewable energy
- Car drives very slowly, the hydrogen doesn't last long, expensive
Although it is slow, expensive and doesn't last long between hydrogen harvests, the Hydrocar Educational Clean Energy Kit is a fantastic example of renewable energy in a form that most people will understand.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Your kids may not thank you now, but the Hydrocar Educational Clean Energy Kit carries a timely message about renewable energy that will hopefully last longer than car's power source. It is a collection of parts that users assemble into a working car that runs completely on renewable energy.
The hydrogen-gathering process sounds great on paper. You put water into a tank and use a solar panel to run electricity through the water to extract hydrogen. This is then put through a special "reversible Proton Exchange Membrane" that turns hydrogen into electricity.
The renewable energy that comes from this process is ready to be pumped through cars and homes without the need for fossil fuels or dangerous nuclear power and its potential for glowing bunny rabbits.
This kit points out both the exciting potential and major problems that stop the widespread use of hydrogen fuel.
With its $129 price tag, the Hydrocar isn't cheap. At this price, the less green-conscious consumer could get themselves a nifty set of EyeClops Night Vision Infrared Stealth Goggles.
Nor is it exciting, with a very slow speed and a short life-span. In our tests the Hydrocar lasted between 1min 24sec and 2min for each full "tank" of hydrogen. The sensors on the front of the vehicle are inaccurate and often try to drive the kit straight off the edge of a table, suggesting yet another secret conspiracy to force us to use petrol-power.
But all of this is largely irrelevant. The kit uses clear tanks filled with water to explore the potential of hydrogen power, and putting it together is a hands-on process.
Once you're finally ready, after a long wait filled with watching and waiting as bubbles of gas enter the tank, there's an undeniable thrill that comes as the car starts up and the lights turn on.
So while your kids would probably prefer to find a stocking with a Nintendo DS, they might appreciate your geeky parenting down the track when they're driving hydrogen cars and living in solar-powered tree houses.
Join the newsletter!
Bitdefender’s best-in-class security solutions have been awarded Product of the Year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Google announces new AFL and NRL integrations for Home and Assistant
- HTC Desire 12 release date, price and specs
- Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference Kicks off on the 4th of June in San Jose
- Fitbit debut slimmer Versa smartwatch
- Sony Introduces Dual Camera Shooting Solution for RX0
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Insights ConsultantOther
- CCSenior Node.js DeveloperQLD
- CCTransformation Technical ArchitectWA
- FTDesktop Support AnalystOther
- FTDigital Marketing Manager - Affiliates and PartnersOther
- FTBusiness Systems AnalystOther
- FTCustomer Data AnalystOther
- FTSEO ExecutiveOther
- CCOracle Financial Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTSystems AdministratorOther
- CCData Analyst =QLD
- FTInformation Management OfficerVIC
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- CCDB2 SpecialistACT
- FTSenior SharePoint DeveloperWA
- FTLead Consultant AIXOther
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTSenior Digital Frontend Developer, UX & Web TechnologyOther
- FTCloud EngineerOther
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTHR Coordinator - $28phOther