Hitachi Australia Deskstar 7K400 400GB
- Fluid dynamic bearings, 250MB – fast seek times
- 400GB – abysmal seek times, 400GB – runs too hot
Judging by the performance results, it seems that the other manufacturers have caught up to Hitachi and now offer more competitive products at more competitive prices.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
We have long been fans of Hitachi's Deskstar series of drives, because of their cool and quiet operation and also because of Hitachi's market-leading capacities. Indeed, Hitachi was the first vendor to introduce a 400GB desktop drive. Its current 400GB drive packs up to 62 gigabits of data per inch of space on its disk platters.
For this review we tested the 400GB HDS724040KLSA80 Deskstar model, in addition to the more mainstream 250GB HDS722525VLSA8. Both drives feature 8MB cache buffers, 7200rpm spin speeds and both have fluid dynamic bearings to reduce vibration and wear.
Our testing showed that the Hitachi drives are still devices to be reckoned with--albeit expensive ones.
In particular, the 250GB drive produced excellent performance results in our file transfer test, where it just outperformed a 250GB Western Digital Caviar. It was quite warm during testing, at 45 degrees, and it was noticeably audible during seek and read/write operations.
The 400GB drive was not as impressive in our tests, managing only 356MB per minute in our file transfer test. This is not at all competitive if you are looking for a very fast drive, and its working temperature was rather high at 44.7 degrees. Both drives have a three-year warranty.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
- ASUSTOR Announces Official Launch of ADM 3.0
- Seagate Launces DJI Fly Drive in Australia and New Zealand for Drone Users
- New development for Western Digital
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AZURE/ O365Other
- TPBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- FTHead of Business Operations - SaaS Product CompanyNSW
- CCService Integration and Delivery Manager- SIAMNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTCRM Siebel DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior PMO ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject MangerNSW
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- CCData & Reporting AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Software Developer - Java/J2EE/Micro servicesOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPChange Delivery Officer / PMOQLD
- CCReporting Analyst - TelcoVIC
- FTSCCM consultantVIC
- FTData DeveloperOther
- CCNon-Functional Test ConsultantNSW
- FTFull Stack Java DeveloperOther
- CCWindows & Linux Systems Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTApplication/Maintenance DeveloperOther
- FTJava DeveloperSA
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- FTSolution ArchitectOther