Sometimes an excellent operating system can be made even better
Hewlett-Packard Australia w1907
- OSD menu is easy to access and navigate, displays text really well
- Built-in speakers are not adequate for multimedia purposes
Better-looking than many monitors, the HP w1907 would fare decently at a business, a home office, or at home for personal use, while adding some style to the desktop.
The HP w1907 is an LCD monitor with built-in speakers that sports fewer physical adjustments than larger HP models, but is capable for home and office use.
This monitor's 19in widescreen silhouette bears a familiar resemblance to its bigger (22in and bigger) w-series siblings, but it's less adjustable. Still, with above-average text quality and built-in speakers, the HP w1907 is a good all-purpose display.
The w1907's base is actually cantilevered, rather than double-hinged, so it offers only a tilt and swivel mechanism. Two small nubs on either side of the HP w1907's silver-and-black stand secure and hide cables from frontal view. They're rudimentary protrusions that HP calls "cable management".
The glossy-screened HP w1907 did very well in text tests, producing agreeably sharp text in office documents and Web pages alike. It garnered enough praise to raise its score.
It did fine on our graphics test, getting a good result from the judges. They gave the HP w1907 high marks for natural colours on a photo of colourful fruits and Web pages.
Skin-tone reproduction and screen brightness, although good, slightly paled in comparison with other monitors.
A glossy bezel, slightly thicker than most in this class of monitors, surrounds the HP w1907's screen, while a touch of silver wraps around the edge of the monitor, providing thin design accents.
This 19in widescreen has built-in speakers, located in the back of the monitor. They are adequate for operating system warnings and other beeps and pops from software applications. But for multimedia sounds, results are mixed. Audio in movies is sufficiently audible, but whispered dialogue is barely discernible to the ear. MP3 playback, on the other hand, is loud enough to hear. You can adjust the HP w1907's speaker volume using the two middle buttons out of the four silver onscreen display (OSD) buttons on the lower right of the display.
The HP w1907's OSD menu is easy to access and navigate. Controls include colour temperature, inside which you can find individual adjustments for each RGB channel.
Our test HP w1907 came with no software, but HP says My Display, its OSD replacement software, would work on this model. We downloaded and installed it, and found that it credibly replaced the monitor OSD and even added basic screen calibration features.
Scenes from Lord of the Rings: Return of the King revealed richly coloured costumes and excellent background detail. Images were sharp and video was smooth, even in fast action clips. An autumn scene produced satisfying coppers, oranges and yellows. Skin tone on actors was uniformly realistic.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Acer unveils new range of desktop PCs, notebooks and gaming machines
- Asus Announces The Latest Designo Curve MX32VQ Monitor
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By ASUS
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies