Hewlett-Packard Australia Scanjet 8200
- Fast, high resolution
- Poor colour scans with default settings
The HP Scanjet 8200 can readily handle documents, photos and film, and is well suited to workgroups.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
The HP Scanjet 8200 is designed with offices in mind. Capable of scanning both reflective items and transparencies, the 8200 is equipped with an 8.5" x 14" scan bed, making it ideal for processing large documents. Workgroups that need to do lots of optical character recognition work can get an optional 50-page automatic document feeder.
The 8200 has a whopping 4800dpi optical resolution. Such a high resolution would theoretically allow you to make a tabloid-size enlargement from an item as small as a postage stamp or 35mm slide, without any loss of detail. And unlike most scanners, which use a single CCD (charge-coupled device) or CIS (contact image sensor) for scanning, the 8200 uses three different CCD sensors--two for colour, and one for monochrome--each of which is optimised for different scan modes and resolutions, according to HP.
In our performance tests, using its USB 2.0 interface, the 8200 produced very zippy scans. It scanned a full page of black-and-white line art in just 11 seconds, for example.
Unlike previous Scanjet models, the 8200 has its control panel on its long side, and it contains many more buttons than most scanners. Among these are six shortcut buttons for common scanning tasks (including scanning, emailing and posting images to a Web site) and photocopier-like controls for choosing colour or black-and-white printing (and the number of copies) when scanning directly to your printer.
The image quality of scans was a mixed bag. It scanned a greyscale photo extremely well, but was only average for black-and-white line art. Its colour scans were at best average. Colours often appeared more saturated than in the originals, such as in the too-red skin tones we saw. The colour accuracy can be improved, however, by changing the scanner driver's default Colour Adjustment setting from Enhanced Colour to Original Colour.
If you want to buy the optional 50-page automatic document feeder--which is a fast (25-page-per-minute) model--after purchasing this unit, you'll pay just as much for it as for the scanner itself. But if your OCR needs are less exacting, consider the Scanjet 8250, which comes with a slower (15ppm) 25-page ADF and costs less.
Like other models that have large scan beds, the 8200 is no lightweight; at 10.2 kilograms, it's not as portable as smaller units with lesser scan beds.
One of the most useful software tools included with the 8200 is Iris's ReadIris Pro 8, a full-featured OCR program that provides functionality beyond what you get with the reduced-feature versions of OCR software bundled with most scanners. Another feature of the 8200 is the TWAIN driver HP Scanning, which provides a basic interface for novices and easy access to advanced features such as colour and tonal adjustments. You also get HP Photo and Imaging, an integrated suite that includes tools for editing images, creating photo galleries, archiving images on CDs (viewable as slide shows) and printing photos with a wide variety of templates. The integrated image editor provides only basic tools, however, and lacks the more advanced features (such as photo composite tools and special effects filters) found in most standard image editors, such as Adobe Photoshop Elements.
The Scanjet 8200 is part of a document-oriented line of HP scanners that includes the Scanjet 8250 and the Scanjet 8290, which has the faster 50-page (25-ppm) ADF and more software.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTC++ Developer - Financial Services - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTData ModellingACT
- FTSenior Agile Software Business AnalystOther
- CCIntegration DeveloperVIC
- FTTeam Leader - Software ServicesVIC
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperQLD
- TPICT Strategic Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- FTDesktop Technical LeadOther
- FTPEGA ArchitectOther
- FTTechnical Test AnalystQLD
- FTProduct Support ManagerVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- FTTechnology Project CoordinatorOther
- FTManual Tester - Accounting & FinanceOther
- CCTechnical Team Lead/Application Developer Team Lead - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTProject Administrator, IT ProgramOther
- CCMobile Applications DevelopersACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AdviceOther
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- CCSAP BPC Specialist ConsultantOther
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX ? Technical ArchitectQLD