Hewlett-Packard Australia Scanjet 4850 Photo
- Well built and robust, Powerful, Impressive optical resolution, Excellent quality scans
- Software requires extra hard drive space
We've been talking about the ScanJet 4850 as a high-end scanner, but the truth is that its price tag really isn't that high. For a model with this many features and this level of construction, it really is a steal.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
One of two new scanners from HP, the 4850 Photo aims to produce high-resolution scanning at an affordable price. Despite its moderate cost, the 4850 has got some heavyweight features and in contrast with the Scanjet 3800, it looks incredibly robust; its meaty construction should be up to the rigours of everyday life.
The Scanjet 4850 is kitted out with a transparency adapter - or, as HP terms it, a transparent materials adapter. You can scan up to four 3.5mm slides or 10x15cm photos or as many as six negatives at any one time, making this an incredibly powerful scanner.
We'd expect nothing less than top-notch specs and the 4850 doesn't disappoint. Its optical resolution is extremely impressive - right up there with the high-end Epson Perfection 4180 Photo. We'd always recommend sticking to the optical resolution when possible, but for those who're interested, the software-enhanced resolution apparently goes up to a ridiculous 999,999dpi.
With HP products, the software bundle is generally too much of a good thing. In the case of the 4850, the Image Zone software demands an eyepopping 450MB of hard drive space - these days, luckily, a PC that packs 120GB is considered rather poor. The titles are many and varied, from red-eye removal to optical character recognition. You even get facilities for removing dust and scratches from loved but ageing photos, or for restoring faded colours.
Most importantly, the quality of the scans is impressive. Colour is accurately translated and the 4850's attention to detail more than reflects the impressive specifications. It's incredibly fast, too, especially at 300dpi, producing A4 scans in just 11 seconds. It manages 600dpi images in just over half a minute, which is incredibly impressive.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTICT Infrastructure / Server EngineerSA
- FTSCRUM Master, Digital Transformation, CXOther
- CCTosca Test AutomationVIC
- FTSenior IT Project Manager - Logistics/TransportOther
- CCWindows / Unix / Linux Systems Administration / Support SpecialistNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCI&CS Communications LeadVIC
- CCManager-Process Tranformation (Black Belt)NSW
- CCFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCDevOps Developer (Brisbane Location)NSW
- CCWindows 10 Deployment TechnicianWA
- CCJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End DeveloperQLD
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantQLD
- FTWeb Developer - Full Stack - 3D, VR, WebGLNSW
- FTWindows DevOps EngineerQLD
- CCService DesignerACT
- FTTest Lead - Automation (energy and metering sector)Other
- FTProject Co-OrdinatorOther
- TPFront End Designer/DeveloperNSW
- FTCloud Engineer - AWSOther
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- FTETL DeveloperOther
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD