Hewlett-Packard Australia Photosmart D7160
- Easy to use interface
- Colours appear washed out and grainy
In a sea of inkjet competitors, the Photosmart D7160 stands out for its conveniences and its superior photo prints. Though some comparable printers may cost less or print a little faster, this would still be a good buy.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
HP packs the Photosmart D7160 with everything you need to print photos, including the ability to print directly from a variety of media cards. HP also bundles its useful Photosmart Premier editing software and its Creative Templates for designing albums and other pieces.
The control panel that manages all of these features is easy to use. Though the symbolic labels are harder to understand than words, the buttons are arranged logically. A helpful touch: Basic tasks are covered in the Quick Start Guide. The design includes conveniences like an input tray that slides out to make loading paper easier. The output tray, which extends from the top of the input tray, is usable but quite flimsy.
Many nice details help this printer stand out a bit from the pack. You can adjust the 2.4-inch LCD's angle to anywhere between 0 and 90 degrees for viewing comfort. Handles on the printer's sides make it easy to move. The impressively comprehensive paper User Guide is actually better than the HTML-based guide.
In our tests, the Photosmart D7160 produced capable speeds and generally good print quality. It managed a midrange text-printing speed of 7.5 pages per minute, and it was among the fastest models in our March 2007 issue roundup at printing graphics and photos. Though the printer is equipped with six inks--black, yellow, light cyan, cyan, light magenta, and magenta--plain-paper prints of text and images were merely adequate: text looked charcoal grey rather than black, though it was generally crisp; colours appeared washed out and very grainy. Glossy paper improved matters, yielding smoother images and more-natural-looking colours, though dark areas lost detail.
Join the newsletter!
We have 4 to give away so jump in!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness Process BAOther
- CCTeam / Process / Project Coordinator ? Telco ? 6 mth contract - Nth SydNSW
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)NSW
- FTJava Developer - AWS MicroservicesOther
- FTSoftware Media Applications SpecialistOther
- CCBusiness Intelligence Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTSalesforce ArchitectNSW
- FTDigital Content ProducerOther
- FTWFM Support Analyst (Kronos)Other
- CCDevops EngineerQLD
- CCNetwork Test EngineerVIC
- FTSAP Test AnalystsOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSnr MS SQL Developer- Australian only- security clearanceOther
- TPSoftware Asset Management Program ManagerNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect (Software/API background)QLD
- CCData Migration LeadACT
- CCProject Manager - Utilities SectorVIC
- CCJava Full stack developer - Telco domainVIC
- FT2 X Graduate roles - Exciting opportunityQLD
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCXamarin DeveloperVIC
- FTSolutions Architect - Business Process Solutions - MelbourneVIC
- FTAutomation Developer - RPAQLD