Hewlett-Packard Australia Photosmart 2710 All-in-One
- Wireless connectivity, PictBridge and memory card support, quiet, quick scan speed
- No individual ink tanks, quite pricey
This printer is definitely a good choice for the busy small office due to its speed, print quality and excellent range of connectivity options.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
The Photosmart 2710 is well designed, good looking and very functional. It has a rare built-in wireless network adapter in addition to a 10/100 Ethernet port and it will work on existing 802.11b or 802.11g networks. It also has both a memory card reader and a PictBridge port. Images from cards and digital cameras can be viewed on the large built-in colour LCD, which tilts vertically. Borderless prints up to A4 size are supported.
When in full swing, the printer in this unit was very quiet and only the paper loading mechanism made substantial noise. Overall, its build quality is very good, although we didn't like the output tray, which did not securely attach itself to the unit.
During our tests, this unit produced very sharp results and nice, vibrant colour output in good time. It took only 5 minutes 34 seconds to produce an A4 colour photo.
Text output was also excellent, especially in the maximum dpi quality mode, although pages took a very long time to print in this mode. Other text modes include fast normal, fast draft, normal and best quality. Fast draft mode actually provided very readable text, and a full page of text can be printed in only 12 seconds in this mode.
The printer driver supports two-sided printing and instructions are provided on how to re-insert the printed pages for printing on the other side.
Among the fastest scanning machines we have seen, the 2710 scanned colour and greyscale A4-size images in only 18 seconds--and that's with the descreen filter turned on. Its detail and colour reproduction was excellent, although its greyscale scanning suffered a little from oversaturated blacks, and patterning from the source material was clearly visible, even though descreen was enabled.
It's worth noting that this machine will also scan 3D images (physical objects) with relatively good accuracy.
OCR software is provided, and its accuracy proved to be excellent in our tests.
Our photocopies of a glossy A4 photograph were reproduced in fine style with excellent colour tones and image detail, and the output only took 4 minutes 21 seconds. Text copies in normal mode were a little muddy, though, and slightly hard to read.
The control panel of the unit is located on the right-hand side just below the large LCD and was very easy to use. Furthermore, the large LCD screen provides plenty of information on how to solve any problems or what steps to take when performing tasks or changing system settings. HP Director for the PC also provides a central location for scan, fax and copy functions.
The only drawback of this unit is its use of a two-cartridge system, which means that it does not have individual ink tanks for each colour.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst Level 1 SupportQLD
- FTUAT CoordinatorQLD
- FTService Implementation Manager BIMNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Consultant - ServiceNowNSW
- CCICT Security Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCWintel Support EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Data EngineerVIC
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperQLD
- FTField Engineer - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- CCChange ManagerWA
- FTGraphics Designer / UI DesignerQLD
- FTSenior Security Engineer x 3NSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantACT
- FTProject Manager HFC Capacity ManagementVIC