Hewlett-Packard Australia LaserJet 3380
- Fast printing, reasonable image quality
- Slow scans, cannot add extra paper trays
The HP LaserJet 3380 performs high-quality scans and offers a lot of features, but it was slow at scanning, copying and printing graphics.
Price$ 1,199.00 (AUD)
The HP LaserJet 3380 is a large, full-featured multifunction printer with an automatic document feeder. Scan, copy and fax buttons sit on the console, along with speed-dial and number pads.
As a printer, the LaserJet 3380 is fairly quick. During our tests, it churned out text at 16.4ppm and greyscale graphics at 3.1ppm--both rates faster than average. Its straight, clean text matched the output excellence most of the other laser printers we have tested, and it handled narrow parallel lines well in our line art test. Greyscale graphics weren't as impressive, however, looking dark and over-contrasted with a grainy texture. Copy speeds were somewhat slow at 4.7ppm, and copies appeared dark enough to obscure much detail.
The LaserJet 3380 had very good colour scan quality, but it was slow in our tests. It took 40 seconds to scan a 4" x 5" photograph at 100dpi, which is slower than most other MFPs we have tested--even the inkjet models. However, the scanner driver has some handy controls for adjusting scans, allowing the user to resize, lighten and darken, sharpen, adjust colour, invert colours, and create a mirror image. Scans can be saved to a folder or sent to an email address.
The unit has a full-featured fax, with features such as broadcasting, polling, setting up billing codes and printing activity logs. It comes with a separate and extensive manual dedicated just to faxing.
The MFP does not support additional paper trays on top of the standard 250-sheet input tray, but memory can be upgraded from the standard 32MB to 96MB. It also lacks an Ethernet port; for network support you have to buy HP's optional JetDirect 175X external print server. We tested the LaserJet 3380 over our network using this accessory.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWQLD
- FTSenior Desktop Technical EngineerOther
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- CCTest AnalystACT
- FTOrganisational Change ManagerOther
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTJava DevelopersVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectWA
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTSAP HR / ABAP ConsultantWA
- FTResource Coordinator - $71 phOther
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- CCSCCM Application PackagerQLD
- CCFull Stack Web DeveloperNSW
- TPSnr SQL DBAQLD
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- CCSenior Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTSCRUM MasterOther
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCChange Communications Specialist l Port Macquarie NSWNSW
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)ACT
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTUnix/Linux System Administrator - PERMANENT ROLEQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW