Hewlett-Packard Australia LaserJet 3380
- Fast printing, reasonable image quality
- Slow scans, cannot add extra paper trays
The HP LaserJet 3380 performs high-quality scans and offers a lot of features, but it was slow at scanning, copying and printing graphics.
Price$ 1,199.00 (AUD)
The HP LaserJet 3380 is a large, full-featured multifunction printer with an automatic document feeder. Scan, copy and fax buttons sit on the console, along with speed-dial and number pads.
As a printer, the LaserJet 3380 is fairly quick. During our tests, it churned out text at 16.4ppm and greyscale graphics at 3.1ppm--both rates faster than average. Its straight, clean text matched the output excellence most of the other laser printers we have tested, and it handled narrow parallel lines well in our line art test. Greyscale graphics weren't as impressive, however, looking dark and over-contrasted with a grainy texture. Copy speeds were somewhat slow at 4.7ppm, and copies appeared dark enough to obscure much detail.
The LaserJet 3380 had very good colour scan quality, but it was slow in our tests. It took 40 seconds to scan a 4" x 5" photograph at 100dpi, which is slower than most other MFPs we have tested--even the inkjet models. However, the scanner driver has some handy controls for adjusting scans, allowing the user to resize, lighten and darken, sharpen, adjust colour, invert colours, and create a mirror image. Scans can be saved to a folder or sent to an email address.
The unit has a full-featured fax, with features such as broadcasting, polling, setting up billing codes and printing activity logs. It comes with a separate and extensive manual dedicated just to faxing.
The MFP does not support additional paper trays on top of the standard 250-sheet input tray, but memory can be upgraded from the standard 32MB to 96MB. It also lacks an Ethernet port; for network support you have to buy HP's optional JetDirect 175X external print server. We tested the LaserJet 3380 over our network using this accessory.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPortfolio Performance LeadOther
- TPSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTSystems Engineering Design Acceptance LeadACT
- TPSQL Systems DeveloperQLD
- FTScrum Master, Marketing ProgramOther
- CCMulesoft DeveloperVIC
- CCSoftware EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTSenior Capacity PlannerVIC
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- FTGraduate C# DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCAutomation Scripter - Data CentresWA
- FTSenior Strategy Consultant - Large CorporateOther
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- CCSite Support Officer - FIFO - Cape PrestonWA
- FTMid-Level Drupal DeveloperQLD
- FTJava DevelopersSA
- FTETL DeveloperOther
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- FTChange Manager (Organisational)Other
- CCLevel 1 Service Desk SupportWA
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW