Hewlett-Packard Australia LaserJet 3380
- Fast printing, reasonable image quality
- Slow scans, cannot add extra paper trays
The HP LaserJet 3380 performs high-quality scans and offers a lot of features, but it was slow at scanning, copying and printing graphics.
Price$ 1,199.00 (AUD)
The HP LaserJet 3380 is a large, full-featured multifunction printer with an automatic document feeder. Scan, copy and fax buttons sit on the console, along with speed-dial and number pads.
As a printer, the LaserJet 3380 is fairly quick. During our tests, it churned out text at 16.4ppm and greyscale graphics at 3.1ppm--both rates faster than average. Its straight, clean text matched the output excellence most of the other laser printers we have tested, and it handled narrow parallel lines well in our line art test. Greyscale graphics weren't as impressive, however, looking dark and over-contrasted with a grainy texture. Copy speeds were somewhat slow at 4.7ppm, and copies appeared dark enough to obscure much detail.
The LaserJet 3380 had very good colour scan quality, but it was slow in our tests. It took 40 seconds to scan a 4" x 5" photograph at 100dpi, which is slower than most other MFPs we have tested--even the inkjet models. However, the scanner driver has some handy controls for adjusting scans, allowing the user to resize, lighten and darken, sharpen, adjust colour, invert colours, and create a mirror image. Scans can be saved to a folder or sent to an email address.
The unit has a full-featured fax, with features such as broadcasting, polling, setting up billing codes and printing activity logs. It comes with a separate and extensive manual dedicated just to faxing.
The MFP does not support additional paper trays on top of the standard 250-sheet input tray, but memory can be upgraded from the standard 32MB to 96MB. It also lacks an Ethernet port; for network support you have to buy HP's optional JetDirect 175X external print server. We tested the LaserJet 3380 over our network using this accessory.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FT2 x Python Developers - FinTech/TradingOther
- FTHead of Development - SaaS ProductNSW
- FTSystem EngineerOther
- TPProject Manager - Information ManagementVIC
- FTApplication SupportNSW
- FTJava Full stack developer - Telco domainVIC
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTIT GraduateACT
- CCProgram / Project AnalystVIC
- TPProject Support OfficerNSW
- CC.NET DeveloperNSW
- FTSolutions ArchitectsOther
- FT.Net Developer - Multiple positions availableSA
- FTAdministration SupportOther
- FTFinance AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Support - Level 1 - Minchinbury NSWOther
- CCService Delivery LeadQLD
- FTLead Business Analyst - Logistics and Supply ChainOther
- FTExperienced Application DeveloperSA
- CCMobile DeveloperNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- FTIT TechnicianOther