Hewlett-Packard Australia LaserJet 1020
- Small, cheap
- Poor print quality
Small size and a low price make the HP LaserJet 1020 a good fit for a home office in which space is at a premium and occasional printing jobs don't require the utmost in speed, quality and economy.
Price$ 207.63 (AUD)
If you don't print constantly and you're prepared to stash your paper supply in a drawer between uses, the $149 HP LaserJet 1020 can help you make the most of your precious home-office space. With its paper tray flipped up, it folds into a neat box with a small footprint, one of the smallest laser printer we've seen in a laser printer. And if it stays closed most of the time, you may not notice the high cost of printing each page. HP rates available toner cartridges (using the industry standard) to yield only 2000 pages of output, so this isn't a printer for heavy use.
Like other budget lasers, the LaserJet 1020 keeps its price low by enlisting your PC's processing power to do the hard work. Windows renders the pages, allowing the printer to concentrate on feeding the raw data to its engine. In our speed tests, text pages printed at 12.3 pages per minute, a slightly slower rate than most small-office lasers we've tested managed. Graphics printed at a more reasonable 8.9ppm.
The LaserJet 1020's text quality failed to impress us. We noted fuzzy edges, particularly at the bottom of each character, and italics looked hazy. The line art sample seemed a bit shaky, though it showed almost no horizontal banding. Our greyscale photo acquired a gritty texture and lacked sufficient contrast.
The paper tray holds up to 150 sheets and can cope with legal-size paper. You'll have to feed envelopes one at a time through the manual slot just above the paper tray. With only two lights, the LaserJet 1020's control panel is about as simplest you can find, leaving almost everything to the Windows printer driver to handle. A hard-copy Getting Started Guide comes bundled with the printer, but the CD-ROM includes short animated sequences that are perfect for walking a beginner through setting up the printer and installing the software.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new Expression Premium Photo Range
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical Support - Level 3ACT
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperACT
- FTInside Sales Representative - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - OFM ImplementationOther
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect ? Azure Cloud InfrastructureQLD
- CCDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTField Engineer - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTOracle Fusion Middleware AdministratorOther
- CCIncident ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead | .Net | FintechOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - Supply ChainOther
- FTTechnical Lead | .Net | FintechOther
- FTHFC EngineerOther
- FTSenior Software Engineer - Angular4/.NetNSW
- CCHadoop DeveloperQLD
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTHR Payroll Officer - Government background onlyOther
- FTOracle Fusion Middleware System AdministratorACT
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTProject Manager - DatawarehouseACT
- FTEnd-to-End Recruiter - TelecommunicationsOther
- TPProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTAndroid Developer - 6 Month ContractOther
- FTSolutions Architect - Business Process Solutions - MelbourneVIC