Hewlett-Packard Australia Business Inkjet 1200d
- Great price, fast printing
- Obvious banding in prints, photos print too dark
The HP Business Inkjet 1200d makes a good workhorse printer for a small office, as long as paper-handling options are more important to you than print quality.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The HP Business Inkjet 1200d is designed for small offices on a tight budget. It's cheaper than a colour laser, but it has businesslike styling, plus more paper-handling options--and a larger footprint--than most inkjets.
The 1200d's neat built-in duplexer lets you save paper by printing both sides of a sheet. The paper tray holds up to 150 sheets of plain paper, and it can also feed photo paper, envelopes and other media. An optional second tray holds 250 sheets of plain paper--handy if you frequently switch between letterhead and plain stationery, or need to fill the original tray with photo paper.
Unlike HP's consumer printers, the 1200d keeps its print heads separate from the ink cartridges. The heads need replacing less frequently than the cartridges. HP estimates that the black print head will last for 16,000 pages, and the colour print heads for 24,000 pages each.
The four inks come in individual cartridges that are larger than usual, to cope with the heavier volumes demanded by offices. Replacement cartridges are also available, but while the black cartridge's capacity is 69 millilitres, the cyan, magenta, and yellow contain only 28ml of ink each. On top of that, the starter cartridges supplied with the printer hold only about half as much ink as the replacement cartridges.
The 1200d did well in our speed tests, printing text at a snappy 6.5 pages per minute and graphics at a solid 2.6ppm. We were disappointed in the output quality, however. Text on plain paper generally looked nice and dark, but we saw obvious bands across the page. Small fonts appeared extremely blotchy, though closely spaced bold lettering was nice and distinct. Our line art sample was spoiled by very obvious banding over the entire width of the print. Plain-paper colour graphics showed similar banding, looked very grainy and lacked detail in dark areas. Images on photo paper were too dark; and while our greyscale image retained sharp detail, it had a noticeably green cast. The 1200d can't print photos without borders.
A colour setup poster and a printed startup guide come in the box. The more extensive User's Guide contains helpful colour illustrations and a good troubleshooting section.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- 3D printer owners rate the best 14 machines
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTData EngineerOther
- CCMultiple Python DeveloperVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorOther
- FTIT GraduateACT
- TPTechnology Training and Service Desk AnalystVIC
- TPProject ManagerACT
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- TPAgile Business AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst / Change AnalystQLD
- TPProject Officer. 6 month contract. Program AdministrationNSW
- CCProgram Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCReporting Data Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCXamarin Mobile DeveloperVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Process Flow AnalystNSW
- FTNode.js DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Full-Stack DeveloperSA
- TPSQL Developer/AnalystQLD
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTBusiness Analyst (SAP Security)Other
- FTLead Business Analyst - Logistics and Supply ChainOther
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther