Hewlett-Packard Australia Business Inkjet 1200d
- Great price, fast printing
- Obvious banding in prints, photos print too dark
The HP Business Inkjet 1200d makes a good workhorse printer for a small office, as long as paper-handling options are more important to you than print quality.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The HP Business Inkjet 1200d is designed for small offices on a tight budget. It's cheaper than a colour laser, but it has businesslike styling, plus more paper-handling options--and a larger footprint--than most inkjets.
The 1200d's neat built-in duplexer lets you save paper by printing both sides of a sheet. The paper tray holds up to 150 sheets of plain paper, and it can also feed photo paper, envelopes and other media. An optional second tray holds 250 sheets of plain paper--handy if you frequently switch between letterhead and plain stationery, or need to fill the original tray with photo paper.
Unlike HP's consumer printers, the 1200d keeps its print heads separate from the ink cartridges. The heads need replacing less frequently than the cartridges. HP estimates that the black print head will last for 16,000 pages, and the colour print heads for 24,000 pages each.
The four inks come in individual cartridges that are larger than usual, to cope with the heavier volumes demanded by offices. Replacement cartridges are also available, but while the black cartridge's capacity is 69 millilitres, the cyan, magenta, and yellow contain only 28ml of ink each. On top of that, the starter cartridges supplied with the printer hold only about half as much ink as the replacement cartridges.
The 1200d did well in our speed tests, printing text at a snappy 6.5 pages per minute and graphics at a solid 2.6ppm. We were disappointed in the output quality, however. Text on plain paper generally looked nice and dark, but we saw obvious bands across the page. Small fonts appeared extremely blotchy, though closely spaced bold lettering was nice and distinct. Our line art sample was spoiled by very obvious banding over the entire width of the print. Plain-paper colour graphics showed similar banding, looked very grainy and lacked detail in dark areas. Images on photo paper were too dark; and while our greyscale image retained sharp detail, it had a noticeably green cast. The 1200d can't print photos without borders.
A colour setup poster and a printed startup guide come in the box. The more extensive User's Guide contains helpful colour illustrations and a good troubleshooting section.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Windows 11 review: An unnecessary replacement for Windows 10
- 2 Sony WF-1000XM4 review: These noise-canceling earbuds have all-around appeal
- 3 Acer Swift X review: A rare ultraportable laptop with bite
- 4 Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station review: Good for venturing off the grid
- 5 Razer Naga Trinity review: The last best MMO gaming mouse
Latest News Articles
- Epson RapidReceipt RR-600W scanner released for home offices
- Epson announces heat-free EcoTank printers
- Canon’s Pixma Endurance has a new name
- Brother pitch themselves at SMBs with new 'Inkvestment' options
- Canon unveils its latest range of Pixma Inkjet printers and CanoScan scanner series
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- LG Gram 17 (2021) review: Super lightweight and primed for productivity
- What's on offer in Telstra's latest flash sale?
- Best way to get the Google Pixel 6 and Google Pixel 6 Pro in Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies