Hewlett-Packard Australia Business Inkjet 1200d
- Great price, fast printing
- Obvious banding in prints, photos print too dark
The HP Business Inkjet 1200d makes a good workhorse printer for a small office, as long as paper-handling options are more important to you than print quality.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The HP Business Inkjet 1200d is designed for small offices on a tight budget. It's cheaper than a colour laser, but it has businesslike styling, plus more paper-handling options--and a larger footprint--than most inkjets.
The 1200d's neat built-in duplexer lets you save paper by printing both sides of a sheet. The paper tray holds up to 150 sheets of plain paper, and it can also feed photo paper, envelopes and other media. An optional second tray holds 250 sheets of plain paper--handy if you frequently switch between letterhead and plain stationery, or need to fill the original tray with photo paper.
Unlike HP's consumer printers, the 1200d keeps its print heads separate from the ink cartridges. The heads need replacing less frequently than the cartridges. HP estimates that the black print head will last for 16,000 pages, and the colour print heads for 24,000 pages each.
The four inks come in individual cartridges that are larger than usual, to cope with the heavier volumes demanded by offices. Replacement cartridges are also available, but while the black cartridge's capacity is 69 millilitres, the cyan, magenta, and yellow contain only 28ml of ink each. On top of that, the starter cartridges supplied with the printer hold only about half as much ink as the replacement cartridges.
The 1200d did well in our speed tests, printing text at a snappy 6.5 pages per minute and graphics at a solid 2.6ppm. We were disappointed in the output quality, however. Text on plain paper generally looked nice and dark, but we saw obvious bands across the page. Small fonts appeared extremely blotchy, though closely spaced bold lettering was nice and distinct. Our line art sample was spoiled by very obvious banding over the entire width of the print. Plain-paper colour graphics showed similar banding, looked very grainy and lacked detail in dark areas. Images on photo paper were too dark; and while our greyscale image retained sharp detail, it had a noticeably green cast. The 1200d can't print photos without borders.
A colour setup poster and a printed startup guide come in the box. The more extensive User's Guide contains helpful colour illustrations and a good troubleshooting section.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Apple iPhone X
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Epson Australia Unveils New Expression Home Range of Printers
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTService Desk Analyst - L1Other
- FTService Desk EngineerOther
- FTTechnical Business Analyst / Application Support AnalystOther
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSupply Master Data AnalystOther
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- CCDevelopment Lead - Java - TelcoVIC
- FTFront End Developer l HTML5 , SCSS, Bootstrap, KnockOut, MVVPNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- CCWin10 Apps PackagerWA
- CCSAP EAM Functional AnalystQLD
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- TPCyber Security ConsultantNSW
- CCSharePoint Developer / AdministratorNSW
- TPAndroid Engineer - Contract (6 months)NSW
- FTIntegration DeveloperVIC
- FTHadoop DevelopersOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTField EngineerVIC
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT
- FTSenior Project Manager, Facilities & Asset ManagementOther
- CCWholesale Trading Solutions ArchitectNSW