Hendrik Kueck ColorSplash
An iPhone app to unleash the artist in all of us.
- Easy to use, attractive interface, addictive, can be accurate
- Settings pane isn't available through the app itself
ColorSplash is a great way to waste away some time by manipulating your photos to achieve an artistic look. Though simple, there is little to fault the app.
Price$ 2.49 (AUD)
ColorSplash is one of the increasing number of surprisingly capable photo manipulation iPhone apps available in the App Store. Like its counterparts, ColorSplash doesn't try to be a one-stop shop. Instead it focuses on one particular function — selective desaturation.
Selective desaturation is the ability to remove colour from a portion of a photograph; making a single banana black and white in a basket full of yellow bananas, for example. This cool and occasionally useful function can already be found in high-end point-and-shoot cameras like the Canon IXUS 980 IS but is otherwise restricted to computer software like Adobe Photoshop.
With ColorSplash, though, you can use your iPhone to completely or selectively desaturate photographs from the handset's photo library or the camera roll. The app automatically desaturates any imported photo; we would have like to be able to turn this off, though colouring the photo back in is easy enough.
Manipulating the photo works in a similar fashion to a paintbrush in Photoshop; simply click and drag to "paint" colour or grey onto the photo. The final image can only have grey or the photo's original colour — there is no way to change colours as you desire. ColorSplash uses three different colour brushes — original colour, red, and grey — allowing you to choose whether you want to saturate or desaturate. Red brush strokes are automatically replaced by the photo's original colour in the final image; the red just allows you to better see where you have "painted".
Four different brush types are available, with different levels of softness and opacity. Brush size can be customised but this can only be achieved through the settings pane, which is integrated into the main iPhone settings function rather than being accessible from within ColorSplash.
Panning and zooming around the photograph uses multi-touch, but ColorSplash allows more freedom than you normally have when viewing a photo on the iPhone. You can zoom right out and move the photo anywhere on the screen.
Desaturated photos can be saved as sessions, allowing you to return and work on them later, or they can be finalised and saved as jpegs in the camera roll. ColorSplash automatically saves a session before closing, so you won't lose your hard work should you accidentally hit the Home button or if you get a call.
There's little to fault the app. Our only real problem is that its settings aren't available within the app itself, meaning you can't change brush size without first exiting the app. ColorSplash is a fun and addictive way to view photos in your iPhone in a different light.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- TPAutomation EngineerQLD
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTDevOps Engineer - Supply ChainOther
- FTMulesoft Solutions DesignerNSW
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- CCIntegration AnalystACT
- CCIntegration DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnology Development ManagerQLD
- FTSystem Specialist - Operational Technology SystemsOther
- FTSenior Strategy Specialist - Direct / ConsumerOther
- FTStorage & Backup Engineer x2 - EMCOther
- FTNetwork Lead AcrhitectNSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (WINTEL)ACT
- TPICT Strategic Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- FTCommercial Loan Documentation SpecialistOther
- FTLead Business AnalystNSW
- TPProject Manager - IT SecurityQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior Field Services Telecommunication RiggerACT
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- CCData ModellerACT
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTSenior Java and AEM DeveloperOther