Sometimes an excellent operating system can be made even better
Hauppauge Nova-t PCI
- Stable performance, excellent time shifting features, easy channel scan
The Nova-t PCI is a great card and its software is very reliable. Its recording and playback performance was excellent in our tests and the WinTV Nova-t software package was easy to use.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Hauppauge's Nova-t PCI card has been around for a while now, and so has its software player, WinTV Nova-t. This software is very stable and more than capable of decent recording, scheduling and timeshifting. Its interface is simple, with the list of channels and control functions on the left of the screen and the main TV window (with "now" and "next" program information) to the right.
Its recording performance is among the best we have seen, as it allows you to pause and resume a recording, which is perfect for cutting out commercial breaks while watching what you are recording. Think back to the days when you patiently sat through recording a program on your VCR with your finger on the pause button in anticipation of the ad break. Another neat feature is that you can record in the background with the video and sound functions off.
When timeshifting is initiated, it launches a little window of its own that is used for pausing, playing and navigating timeshifted data. In addition, a little checkbox allows you to decide whether you want timeshifted data to be deleted automatically or whether you want to keep it, which can come in pretty handy.
One quirk we did find with the software relates to its volume control. If you change the volume within WinTV Nova-t and then exit the program, your WAVE volume will be set to the level of the WinTV Nova-t's volume, affecting the rest of your programs that rely on audio.
For couch-dwellers, the Nova-t PCI ships with a nifty little remote that works very well with WinTV Nova-t. In terms of picture quality, SD and HD programming looked magnificent during testing and the tuner's ability to find all available channels on the first scan was impressive.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Nova 3e: P20 in a pinch
- 2 Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- 3 LG E8 OLED TV (2018) and SK10Y soundbar review: If you've been on the fence about OLED, now might be the time to jump it
- 4 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 5 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- ASUS introduces Prime X299-Deluxe II and ROG Dominus Extreme
- MSI announces custom GeForce RTX 2070 Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers announces ROG Thor Series Power Supplies
- Microsoft teams up with Razer to bring mouse & keyboard gaming and RGB lighting to Xbox One
- MSI teams up with Sony for the upcoming Venom movie
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Hands on with Huawei's Mate 20 Pro
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Full, in-depth, Australian review
- Oppo Find X: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies