In the era of General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), more and more major tech brands are being caught out when it comes to cloud-based storage solutions – and their customers are paying the price.
Hauppauge Nova-t PCI
- Stable performance, excellent time shifting features, easy channel scan
The Nova-t PCI is a great card and its software is very reliable. Its recording and playback performance was excellent in our tests and the WinTV Nova-t software package was easy to use.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Hauppauge's Nova-t PCI card has been around for a while now, and so has its software player, WinTV Nova-t. This software is very stable and more than capable of decent recording, scheduling and timeshifting. Its interface is simple, with the list of channels and control functions on the left of the screen and the main TV window (with "now" and "next" program information) to the right.
Its recording performance is among the best we have seen, as it allows you to pause and resume a recording, which is perfect for cutting out commercial breaks while watching what you are recording. Think back to the days when you patiently sat through recording a program on your VCR with your finger on the pause button in anticipation of the ad break. Another neat feature is that you can record in the background with the video and sound functions off.
When timeshifting is initiated, it launches a little window of its own that is used for pausing, playing and navigating timeshifted data. In addition, a little checkbox allows you to decide whether you want timeshifted data to be deleted automatically or whether you want to keep it, which can come in pretty handy.
One quirk we did find with the software relates to its volume control. If you change the volume within WinTV Nova-t and then exit the program, your WAVE volume will be set to the level of the WinTV Nova-t's volume, affecting the rest of your programs that rely on audio.
For couch-dwellers, the Nova-t PCI ships with a nifty little remote that works very well with WinTV Nova-t. In terms of picture quality, SD and HD programming looked magnificent during testing and the tuner's ability to find all available channels on the first scan was impressive.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- QNAP Unveils the TS-1635AX 16-bay NAS
- Razer debut the first Opto-Mechanical keyboards in the form of the new Huntman and Huntsman Elite
- Samsung brings the Samsung Fl!p to Australia
- Intel CEO resigns after probe of relationship with employee
- Computex 2018: G.Skill draw eyes with new 'Crystal-RGB' RAM and new gaming gear
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- ASUS Zenbook Pro 15: A futuristic, exciting, imperfect, flagship notebook
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 review: A budget phablet that swings above its weight
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies