- Innovative combination of digital PC TV tuner and set-top box, decent software provided
- Lack of integration between set-top box functions and PC functions
The DEC2000T is a handy two-in-one purchase, giving you both a PC-based tuner and a standalone digital set-top box in one hit. It would have been great if you were able to access the PC-based capabilities of the box (such as recording and time-shifting) from your TV set.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
One of the most unusual PVRs you can find, the Hauppauge DEC2000T is not actually a PVR at all, but a combination of digital set-top box and digital PC TV tuner. It has no integral hard disk, but can store recorded movies on your computer's hard disk, using the supplied software. Even without a PC, it operates as a standalone digital set-top box, delivering digital channels to your TV set via SCART (with RCA adapter) or a 75 ohm aerial cable loop-through.
The biggest flaw with the DEC2000T is that its set-top box and PC TV tuner functions are not at all integrated. It's almost criminal that you can't set recording times for programs using the remote control while watching the TV set, nor can you access timeshifting capabilities (that is, pausing and rewinding) while watching digital television on your TV set--you have to do these things using the supplied software on your PC. It would have been great to be able to use the DEC2000T while watching your TV like any other PVR, and use your PC as a kind of data store, but that's not possible. If you want to record or timeshift, you have to walk to wherever your PC is and do it from there, using the supplied software.
The DEC2000T connects to your PC via USB 2.0, and the software supplied with the box is ugly but functional. Switching channels, timeshifting and scheduling recording were all managed with little fuss, and the on-screen picture quality was excellent. There was no noticeable frame skip or quality loss over the USB connection.
Being a digital TV tuner, you have little control over the bit-rate of the recorded video (it simply takes the digital signals off the airwaves and puts them on your PC hard disk). Typically, broadcast television signals take between 1.5GB and 2GB per hour of recorded video. The advantage of having them on your PC rather than integrated into the PVR, of course, is that you can quickly archive the video to DVD. Since DTV is broadcast in MPEG-2, the same format used for DVD, you don't have to re-format the video to make it playable on a standalone DVD player.
As a standalone set-top box, the DEC2000T did a decent job as well. It supports HDTV, and has a basic, no-frills interface and remote control. Rapid channel switching and tuning were no problem and the DEC2000T has on-screen support for the digital television EPG.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTLead Solutions Architect- SAP SuccessFactorsOther
- TPAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- CCSolaris / Oracle SPARC administratorVIC
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTWeb Developer / ProducerOther
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTiOS DeveloperWA
- TPSAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCMid-level SAP ArchitectQLD
- FTField Service TechnicianOther
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Business Case - Risk & Compliance - ContractNSW
- FTInformation Security ManagerVIC
- TPSenior Business Analyst - ASAP StartQLD
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)SA
- TPBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW
- FTService Provider Manager - Asset ManagementOther
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileVIC
- FTPractice Director Quality AssuranceSA
- TPProject Manager - Pre Sales Development ProcessNSW
- FTRecords AnalystOther
- FTManager, Platform Wealth OperationsOther
- CCDesktop Support TechnicianOther