Harman Kardon HS 100
- Looks great, sounds great, good feature set
- A few more inputs/outputs would be nice
An excellent home cinema system that performs well in every aspect
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
It's amazing how much impact a set of decent speakers can have. It's the difference between simply watching a movie and feeling immersed in its atmosphere. There are plenty of mediocre home cinema sets around that don't really do the job, with poor surround and weak bass. Thankfully Harman Kardon's HS100 overcomes both these problems. The surround effect sweeps round the room in breathtaking fashion and the bass is so earth-shatteringly powerful that you may need to fasten down loose ornaments.
The HS100 is billed as a total home cinema kit, replete with both a 5.1 speaker setup and an AV receiver with DVD player. It represents an ideal system for those who are new to home cinema. Every aspect of the system feels fine tuned. Setting up the system is made as simple as possible through a useful set of colour coded labels. The HS100's on screen setup is also incredibly simple to follow. Audiovisual adjustments can easily be made using Harman Kardon's built in test screens and other settings can all be altered from a system of self explanatory menus. From unpacking the box to using the system took us no longer than 15 minutes.
Complementing the HS100's ease of use is its beautiful aesthetics. The petite yet powerful speakers will unobtrusively fit into any living room. All five speakers are finished in an attractive silver colour with hard wearing metallic gauze. Harman Kardon has provided enough wiring to enable the satellites to be placed pretty much anywhere and wall mounts are provided for extra flexibility. The subwoofer is a bit of a leviathan at nearly 50cm tall, but its minimalist design means it won't look too out of place in the living room. The great thing about bass frequencies is that they are non-directional; if you don't like the look of the subwoofer you can hide it behind the sofa and it will be just as effective; we can attest to that!
The second part of the system is the AV receiver. Though it has a different colour scheme it is another pinnacle of design. The front of the receiver boasts a DVD tray, a snazzy glowing volume control dial, the LCD display and nothing more. To make things prettier the buttons have all been placed on the top of the unit. This may be more aesthetically pleasing but if you like to stack your AV units you may find accessing the buttons a bit of a nuisance. With a fully featured remote control this shouldn't be too much of a gripe. The receiver has a good range of output options including Composite, S-Video, SCART and Component, but we would have liked to see a few more. Coaxial and Optical digital inputs are also provided. Another nice feature is the inclusion of an FM radio.
We found the performance of the DVD player to be about average for this kind of system, the display is good and pretty much every feature is covered. As we would expect, support for HD displays is provided through the component output and Dolby Digital and DTS are also catered for. Navigating the player's various commands using either the on screen display or the remote control is easy. One nice feature is the ability to play audio files and view photos. On inserting a disc with MP3, WMA or JPEG files the HS100 will scan the disc and start playing any audio files while simultaneously scrolling through the images. We did encounter a few problems when attempting to play WMA files, but MP3s and JPEGs worked flawlessly.
Perhaps the most important aspect of any home cinema system is its acoustic performance. The HS100 does not disappoint with a powerful yet complete sound. The subwoofer is a floor design, meaning that the 10 inch speaker is pointing directly in to the ground. This means that the bass frequencies travel even further than usual, creating an almost earthquake-like effect. During testing we had most of the office up in arms about the noise; at only 40% volume the sound could be heard four rooms away. Yet despite this immense power the sound is far from brutal, beautifully complementing the output from the satellite speakers. The bass is never overpowering and fits the overall tone perfectly. The satellites themselves are correspondingly good, with excellent frequency range and crisp, lifelike sound. Combined with the subwoofer they produce an outstanding sound-scape and the surround effect is perfect.
There is very little to dislike about the HS100. It produces incredible sound, has good DVD playback and it looks good too. Enthusiasts may complain about the lack of inputs but for anyone looking to step in the world of home cinema the HS100 is an ideal package.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review: a Nazi-stomping shooter that's more than the sum of its parts
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTSecurity Analyst - Operational SupportOther
- FTSenior Change Analyst, Governance & AssuranceOther
- CCDesktop Support TechnicianOther
- FTScrum Master | 6mths +Other
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- FTPermanent: Senior Infrastructure Technical Consultant - Cloud - MicrosoftVIC
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- FTSenior Network Designer - Australian Citizenship RequiredOther
- FTApplication Support Team Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- FTData Centre Support Engineer -| 6mth ContractOther
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystOther
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTFront End Developer l HTML5 , SCSS, Bootstrap, KnockOut, MVVPNSW
- FTSystems Support ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTAX Dynamics 365 Solution/ Technical Architect/ Develope/ConsultOther
- FTBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- FTAnalysis, Design & Configuration ManagerOther
- FTProject Engineer, Operational Infrastructure & TelcoOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Commercial LeadOther
- FTChange Manager- Rail / Fleet MaintenanceOther
- FTGenesys Routing DeveloperOther