Harman Kardon DVD-47
- Great upscaling performance
- Remote control feels cheap and nasty
Harman/Kardon's DVD-47 is a great device for watching DVDs on a high definition TV.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Those of you who have a high definition TV and a huge DVD collection will appreciate Harman Kardon's DVD-47, which uses upscaling technology to make DVDs look great on huge display's.
The DVD-47 uses upscaling to deliver a 1080i resolution from regular DVDs (which have a resolution of 576i). While it's great for those of you with a large DVD collection, it's also a great choice for those of you who don't want to commit to neither HD-DVD nor Blu-ray, yet want to put your high definition screen to good use.
We tested the player's upscaling capabilities by connecting it to the Grundig GLCD4600HD TV via an HDMI connection. Setting the output to 1080i, the difference in image quality was immediately noticeable. Compared to the DVD's regular quality, 1080i made the images clearer, produced sharper edges and there was less blurring, especially during motion-heavy scenes. While it didn't quite match the quality of Blu-ray or HD-DVD content, it was nevertheless a large improvement over standard DVD, and looked very impressive on the 46" screen.
The DVD-47's playback was smooth during our tests and we didn't have any problems using it. The player includes a full range of functions, such as zoom, slow-motion, and audio and subtitle changes. The DVD-47 also packs a great range of both audio and video calibration options, including the ability to set volume levels and distance for individual speakers in a 5.1 surround sound system, and the output resolution (576p, 720p, or 1080i) when using an HDMI cable.
A full range of discs is supported by the DVD-47, including data CDs and DVDs with MP3, JPEG and DivX files. It would have been nice to see either USB or Ethernet, for connecting a hard drive, for example, but the omission of these ports isn't a huge concern.
The DVD-47's connection options are impressive, and include HDMI, Component, 6-channel audio out, digital optical audio out, and coaxial audio out, as well as composite and S-Video outputs.
Design-wise, it's an attractive unit, if you ignore the remote control. Slim and silver, it's fairly standard for a DVD player, with a small LED display and buttons on the front panel. The remote control looks and feels a little cheap and nasty, but we didn't have any problems using it during our tests.
The DVD-47 would be a nice additoin to any high-end home entertainment set up, especially if you've already invested heavily in your DVD collection and want to watch it clearly on a high definition TV.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTApplication PackagerACT
- FTSenior IT Recruitment Consultant - CommercialOther
- FTAnalyst Programmer - Contact Centre ApplicationsOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- TPProgram Coordinator. Product Management BackgroundNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorACT
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperACT
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- FTWindows EngineerACT
- FTData DeveloperOther
- FT2 x Python Developers - FinTech/TradingOther
- FTData Governance and PMO Lead - DW/ BIOther
- FTLevel 3 Support Engineer (Tibco, Java, J2ee, Jboss)Other
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Insurance ClaimsNSW
- FTSenior/Lead Front End DeveloperOther
- TPDatabase AdmininstratorACT
- CCData ArchitectNSW
- FTDigital Customer Experience Manager - CXOther
- FTApplication Service Delivery ManagerNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - NetworkingOther
- FTSolutions Architect - Higher EducationOther
- FTBusiness Development ManagerQLD
- CCMean Stack Developers x4ACT