Harman Kardon DVD-47
- Great upscaling performance
- Remote control feels cheap and nasty
Harman/Kardon's DVD-47 is a great device for watching DVDs on a high definition TV.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Those of you who have a high definition TV and a huge DVD collection will appreciate Harman Kardon's DVD-47, which uses upscaling technology to make DVDs look great on huge display's.
The DVD-47 uses upscaling to deliver a 1080i resolution from regular DVDs (which have a resolution of 576i). While it's great for those of you with a large DVD collection, it's also a great choice for those of you who don't want to commit to neither HD-DVD nor Blu-ray, yet want to put your high definition screen to good use.
We tested the player's upscaling capabilities by connecting it to the Grundig GLCD4600HD TV via an HDMI connection. Setting the output to 1080i, the difference in image quality was immediately noticeable. Compared to the DVD's regular quality, 1080i made the images clearer, produced sharper edges and there was less blurring, especially during motion-heavy scenes. While it didn't quite match the quality of Blu-ray or HD-DVD content, it was nevertheless a large improvement over standard DVD, and looked very impressive on the 46" screen.
The DVD-47's playback was smooth during our tests and we didn't have any problems using it. The player includes a full range of functions, such as zoom, slow-motion, and audio and subtitle changes. The DVD-47 also packs a great range of both audio and video calibration options, including the ability to set volume levels and distance for individual speakers in a 5.1 surround sound system, and the output resolution (576p, 720p, or 1080i) when using an HDMI cable.
A full range of discs is supported by the DVD-47, including data CDs and DVDs with MP3, JPEG and DivX files. It would have been nice to see either USB or Ethernet, for connecting a hard drive, for example, but the omission of these ports isn't a huge concern.
The DVD-47's connection options are impressive, and include HDMI, Component, 6-channel audio out, digital optical audio out, and coaxial audio out, as well as composite and S-Video outputs.
Design-wise, it's an attractive unit, if you ignore the remote control. Slim and silver, it's fairly standard for a DVD player, with a small LED display and buttons on the front panel. The remote control looks and feels a little cheap and nasty, but we didn't have any problems using it during our tests.
The DVD-47 would be a nice additoin to any high-end home entertainment set up, especially if you've already invested heavily in your DVD collection and want to watch it clearly on a high definition TV.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- FTFrontEnd Angular DeveloperOther
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- FTWeb DesignerOther
- FTHead of Engineering - FrontendNSW
- FTTIBCO Integration SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTInsights AnalystOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- CCAPI Developer - ApigeeVIC
- FTSenior Technology Specialist (Networks)Other
- CCSecurity/ Penetration Test AnalystQLD
- FTHadoop DeveloperVIC
- TPPHP DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnology Project CoordinatorOther
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTAPI Integration Technical Lead -$1150 per dayOther
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTDevOps Engineer - Supply ChainOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- CCService Delivery Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther