Harman Kardon AVR 645
- Full range of connectivity options, great remote control, excellent audio and video features
- On-screen interface can be tricky to navigate
Finding any faults with this unit is nearly impossible. If you can afford it, it comes very highly recommended.
Price$ 2,199.00 (AUD)
Harman Kardon's AVR645 receiver is a fantastic choice for mid-range users who want a quality device at a reasonable price. With a huge array of connectivity options and a brilliantly designed remote control, there are very few reasons not to purchase this product if it's in your price bracket. An upgraded version of the AVR 635, the 645 brings HDMI and USB connections to the already massive bevy of ports on the receiver. With excellent audio and video performance and an impressive feature set, the AVR645 is a standout product.
The Harman Kardon's rear panel is replete with every input an AV buff needs, including two HDMI, six composite, three component, three optical audio, three coaxial, four S-Video and a USB port. Outputs include HDMI, composite, component, S-Video, optical audio and speaker connections for 7.1 surround sound. The front panel also boasts a headphone jack, as well as coaxial and composite ports, which can be configured as either inputs or outputs, depending on what's needed. In the process of setting up an entire home entertainment system, including home theatre surround sound, DVD player, set-top box and of course a television, the AVR645 provided every single port we could possibly have needed.
The audio section of the receiver is impressive. The large array of high-end audio connections ensures that users can connect many devices without losing audio quality. Support for Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM is included, and with the impressive inbuilt equaliser and high number of preset options, audio output is sharp and clear. Users can even connect an iPod with the optional Harman Kardon The Bridge. After performing the relatively simple calibration process, we found its surround sound performance to be excellent, filling the entire room with a full, rich sound.
Video support is just as impressive, especially considering the AVR645's ability to convert analogue video signals to digital, allowing composite inputs to be outputted via component connections, helping to reduce clutter from excess cables. The HDMI connections are the real winners here, however, delivering digital video and audio in the same cable and making the AVR645 a great choice for AV enthusiasts.
The 645 boasts the same impressive remote control as the AVR 635, and while it's by no means a top-end universal remote, it's relatively simple to program. Combined with the massive array of ports on the unit itself, the AVR645 brings together your entire home entertainment package into a single, compact bundle.
As with the AVR 635, the AVR645 is let down only by its on-screen display. While it's a little easier to read, it can be a little tricky to navigate. Nevertheless, the simplicity of the entire package, and its power to connect itself to almost every electronic device in your living room, makes it a great purchase. The recommended retail price may seem a little high, especially for casual users, but if it's within your price range it's very hard to find a reason not to buy this product.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTLead Mobile App DeveloperQLD
- CCDesktop EngineerQLD
- CCCyber Security Team/stream LeadVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- TPUser Interface Designer/DeveloperACT
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCNetwork Engineer - Aruba/PaloAltoWA
- CCUX DesignerVIC
- FTDesktop Support Level 2ACT
- CCIBM Lotus Notes DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior ICT Support OfficerACT
- FTApplication Support EngineerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - CMS / DMSOther
- FTInformation Architect - Digital Transformation Business ChangeOther
- FTSenior Functional AnalystOther
- FTSoftware EngineerNSW
- CCHFC Project Officer - Governance and ReportingVIC
- CCWeb DeveloperACT
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- FTMid Level UX DesignerOther
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTEmail Production SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - MortgagesOther
- CCSystems AnalystACT