Grundig UMS 555
- Can record CD tracks and radio to MP3 format, support for USB and SD/MMC cards, easy to use
- Sound range is limited and geared towards pop and modern rock
Overall it's quite a respectable unit, which will suit casual users.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Grundig's UMS 555 is an attractively designed Hi-Fi system. Although audio quality isn't great, its small size and collection of nifty features, along with its relatively low price, make it an attractive option for users looking for a simple CD and MP3 playing system. The integration of a USB and SD/MMC card slot is one of the unit's biggest advantages, which allows recording from CD straight to MP3 format.
A limited sound range is probably the unit's biggest drawback. Audio is quite clear at moderate listening volumes, although it does suffer when the volume is cranked. For the unit's price range, its quality is respectable; however, treble tends to be quite flat and is often overpowered by a more dominant mid-range. The UMS 555 does quite a good job with punchy bass, but slower and more lingering lower frequency tracks aren't handled as well. The overall performance of this product is well suited to most pop and modern rock songs; however fans of classical or jazz will find that it is unable to do these genres as much justice.
Still, what the UMS 555 lacks in audio quality, it makes up for in utility, with the ability to record tracks off CDs straight to MP3 format, to either USB devices or SD/MMC cards. This feature is integrated quite well, and can be accessed with a single-button press on the remote. Although it's not a hugely original or powerful feature, the simplicity of its integration and use make it a valuable addition to the product.
The interface is relatively simple, with a well laid out remote and buttons on the unit itself. Navigating the menu can be a little tricky, with the small LED screen on the front; however, the overall simplicity of the system means that this isn't a commonly accessed feature. The EQ includes five presets as well as a custom option, which is nice to see on a system at this price point.
Grundig has included an impressive amount of versatility in the UMS 555, with its ability to play radio, CDs, MP3s and WMAs on either USB memory, data CDs or SD/MMC cards. Other options such as random/repeat, a headphone jack, and sleep timer round it off nicely.
Overall the UMS 555 is a relatively versatile product. Considering its price point the sound quality is quite reasonable, and it brings some nifty and useful features as well. It's far and away from a high-end audio product, but should be well suited as a bedroom or kid's room unit.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Fallout Geeki Tikis
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- JBL join smart speaker arena with the portable, waterproof and (Google-powered) JBL Link range
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Project Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- TPTest Analyst / CoordinatorQLD
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- TPSenior Business Analyst - TechnicalNSW
- CCDesktop EngineerQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager (Applications & Business)NSW
- FTSenior System Engineer - Wintel & MacVIC
- TPSCCM EngineerVIC
- CCApplications Development Delivery LeadVIC
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- FTMidrange EAI Developer - IBM WebsphereOther
- TPSenior Content DesignerNSW
- CCProgram SchedulerQLD
- FTJAVA DevelopersACT
- TPProject Manager - Call Centre ExpansionVIC
- TPProject OfficerNSW
- CCCloud Release & Deployment ArchitectACT
- FTAutomation Tester/Technical Business AnalystOther
- CCData Quality ManagerNSW
- FTProject Manager | 12mth ContractOther
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD