- Small, attractive, easy to use
- Some sound distortion at high volume levels
The Ovation would make a nice musical addition to any bedroom
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
When you wake up in the morning, we think you'll agree with us that it's not always nice to be greeted with the piercing shriek of your alarm clock. Do you also find that on a Sunday morning, you'd like to listen to some music, but the idea of going downstairs to switch on the HiFi just seems far too much effort? Well, Grundig has the solution to both these problems in the Ovation: a micro CD player and radio. Of course, you don't have to keep it in your bedroom, it would work equally well in the kitchen or anywhere else you choose, but it's definitely best suited to a smaller room.
The Ovation is one of many "lifestyle" devices that have flooded the market in recent years. Companies such as Bose and Bang & Olufsen have made a hefty profit flogging stunning pieces of gear that unfortunately cost a not-so-small fortune. Sitting slightly lower down in the market is Grundig with its Ovation range of players. While the Ovation's performance can't match those much more expensive players, in our minds unless you're a lotto winner, it's a much better buy.
Grundig has spent some time ensuring that the design of the Ovation is aesthetically pleasing yet also functional. The Ovation sports a somewhat minimalist design, with lots of sharp lines and circles in various shades of silver. This minimalism is especially prevalent on the remote control as all the buttons are identical, which at first glance can be a little confusing. Once you've got used to where the various functions lie, this isn't such a problem. The remote control also comes with its own stand, the inclusion of which seems as much to show off the remote as it does to provide useful storage. In true show-off style the Ovation also sports a snazzy multicoloured backlight. At first we were slightly irritated by its constant flashing, but this thankfully stops and can be set to any colour of the rainbow that you desire.
Typically, very small CD players offer very small sound. The Ovation bucks this trend by including a dedicated bass speaker with volume levels that defy its diminutive proportions. The lower frequency sound can become slightly distorted on bass heavy tracks at higher volumes but for the most part we found the sound to be crisp, clear and powerful. Testing across the whole spectrum of musical genres we found that rock, pop, classical and dance music all sounded pretty good. We were particularly surprised with the Ovation's powerful renditions of heavier styles. This is in part helped by the inclusion of a five mode equalizer with presets for classical, pop, rock and jazz. A bass boost function is also a useful addition, though we found that for some genres of music this pushes the sound too far, leading to some nasty distortion.
The Ovation doesn't sport an overwhelming number of functions. You can play CDs or you can listen to the radio. That's pretty much it, though the ability to play MP3 CDs is also welcome. Despite this apparent lack of functionality, the Ovation is an attractive device that will sit nicely in any home, also having the bonus of good performance and a price tag that won't break the bank.
Join the newsletter!
Featuring a high capacity ink tank system, that completely removes the need for cartridges - it comes with up to 2 years of ink in the box
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung Announces New 2018 Television Lineup
- Samsung’s Next TV is a Real Frame-Changer
- Express Your Style With Ultimate Ears WONDERBOOM Freestyle Collection
- HomePod review roundup: 'Room filling,' 'best-in-class' sound, but Siri is 'embarrassingly inadequate'
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - RFTVIC
- CCTRIM - System Administrator - BrisbaneNSW
- CC.NET DeveloperQLD
- TPLotus Notes DeveloperQLD
- FTProject Manager - ERP implementationOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSAP Test AnalystsOther
- FTProxy Product Owner - $800pdOther
- CCOffice365 ProPlus SpecialistNSW
- FTDesktop Engineer Level 1 - 2Other
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Scheduling & Planning (Primavera & MSP)Other
- FTReporting Business Analyst - $62 phOther
- CCTalend Integration DeveloperNSW
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWQLD
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- FTPronto Systems Support SpecialistVIC
- TPPMO AnalystACT
- CCStorage EngineerNSW
- CCXamarin DeveloperNSW
- CCData Migration lead - Energy and GasVIC
- FTProject Co-ordinatorNSW
- TPProject ManagerACT