Grundig GDR700DAB digital radio
A retro-looking Grundig digital radio that has good sound quality, a simple interface and a great design
- Great design, adequate in-built speakers, somewhat portable, line-out is useful
- Slightly tacky construction, poor display, headphone output is mediocre
The Grundig GDR700DAB's retro design and decent integrated speakers make for a lovely DAB+ digital radio that evokes memories of old transistor radios. It may not be perfectly built and the internal components leave a little to be desired, but we like the mix of style, portability and sound quality that the Grundig GDR700DAB offers.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
Grundig's GDR700AB is a digital radio that supports the DAB+ standard. It has a rich, wood-accented exterior and integrated stereo speakers. It can run off batteries and has a useful line-out port for connecting it to a more powerful stereo.
The Grundig GDR700AB has a smooth wooden case, with the front dominated by a black cloth cover for the 3W stereo speakers. The end result is a great retro look and one of the most visually enticing products we've had in our test centre for a while. Not since the Sennheiser HD 800 headphones has a product attracted the attention of so many passers-by.
A flip-down sepia panel on the front of the Grundig GDR700DAB hides buttons for power, volume, station selection and sound adjustment as well as a clear two-line LCD screen. This screen dims quickly after you've finished using it, which makes it difficult to check the currently playing station unless you press a button.
Sound quality from the in-built speakers is acceptable. Obviously they're not audiophile quality, but there is a decent amount of treble and mid-range detail. Stereo separation between the two speakers is also surprisingly noticeable. The player's headphone output was acceptable quality but seemed to lack treble in some instances.
The radio's digital reception was good. We rarely found any distortion from interference. The radio has a telescopic aerial to aid with reception, but even with the aerial stowed away digital reception was acceptable. Standard FM reception was also good.
We definitely prefer this digital radio to the Sangean DPR-99 in all respects.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCServiceNow ConsultantVIC
- FTProgram Manager - Technology & EngineeringOther
- TPBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTProject ManagerQLD
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperVIC
- TPEL1 Business AnalystACT
- CCLoad Balancer SpecialistWA
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- CCBusiness Intelligence SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior DevOps LeadVIC
- CCSenior Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- TPSenior Developer/Technical AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst, Business Efficiencies ProgramOther
- FTProblem Engineer - J2EE - TelcoVIC
- CCVMware EngineerNSW
- CCOracle CRM OD (On Demand) Consultant - Telecom IndustryVIC
- CCWholesale Trading Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- FTMid-Level Software EngineerOther
- FTInfrastructure Solutions Architect - Converged InfrastructureOther
- FTSAP Test ManagerACT
- FTInformation Security ConsultantQLD