Grundig Freeview HD Set Top Box
Grundig Freeview High Definition Set Top Box review: A digital TV set-top box with a simple menu and good program guide
- Quick operation
- Intuitive menu layout and program guide
- A little expensive considering its basic features and lack of hard drive
The Grundig Freeview High Definition Set Top Box is a simple product; it's a digital TV receiver with Freeview's excellent electronic program guide. We think it's a little expensive at its recommended retail price considering the lack of any recording ability, but if you can find it discounted it would make a great way to future-proof an old analog television.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
The Grundig Freeview High Definition Set Top Box works quickly and is easy to use even for digital TV newcomers. It's simple and doesn't have any recording abilities since there's no USB host port or internal hard drive, so we think it's a little expensive. However, it's a foolproof way to upgrade your old TV to receive digital television now and in the future.
Grundig Freeview HD set-top box: Design and setup
The Grundig Freeview High Definition Set Top Box is very basic — on its front, you'll find a power button and that's it. All channel-changing and menu-surfing must be done with the bundled remote control, so if you lose it you're in trouble.
Around the back of the set-top box are the all-important audio and video outputs. We used HDMI for our setup, but there's also component video and composite, as well as coaxial digital audio for connecting a home theatre system. The Ethernet network port and USB are used for updating the set-top box's software.
Setting up the Grundig Freeview High Definition Set Top Box was a breeze: After plugging in the power, the antenna connector, and a video output to your TV, then you're ready to go. The initial on-screen setup only took a few minutes, with a channel scan that found all our Sydney metropolitan stations in under two minutes.
There is no internal hard drive in the set-top box, so there's no way to record the show you're watching. We would have liked to see the option to plug in a USB flash drive and record to it, but this is a feature usually restricted to more expensive products. The Freeview electronic program guide is excellent — it's clearly laid out and provides plenty of info on the program you're watching.
Grundig Freeview HD set-top box: Performance
In our tests — using the set top box over a couple of days, changing channels, viewing the guide, setting reminders and changing menu settings — we never experienced any slow-down or pauses of more than two seconds. The set-top box changes channels quickly, generally taking under a second to switch.
The Freeview over-the-air guide data is pulled in almost instantly after a channel is selected, with a full seven days' data for all the channels we looked at. You can set reminders for when a show is starting using the guide — we ran through and set a couple of days' worth of reminders with no problems, with reminders occurring in line with the guide's approximation of program start times.
Grundig Freeview HD set-top box: Conclusion
Grundig's Freeview High Definition Set Top Box works just as you'd expect — it's simple to operate and its small range of features are easy to understand and control. The lack of a hard drive for recording makes it a bit expensive for its basic feature-set — we'd suggest that if you can find it on sale, it would be a good purchase to reinvigorate an old analog TV.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Procurement Manager- Government BackgroundOther
- FTSystems Engineer (data centre)Other
- CCDevOps Engineer - Maximo - TelcoVIC
- TPProject Manager - CRMQLD
- FTTest AnalystOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- CCTraining Consultant/Architect - TelcoVIC
- CCDesktop Support TechnicianOther
- CCRelease ManagerACT
- FTSenior .NET Engineer - Back-EndNSW
- FTInformation Security AnalystNSW
- FTIntegration Developer (Mulesoft)Other
- FTMultiple Infrastructure Engineer rolesACT
- TPDelivery Lead - IT Services Function - Day rateNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTAxiomSL Technical ConsultantOther
- CCProject Manager - DeliveryNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTBackend Java DevelopersNSW
- FTData Centre Support Engineer -| 6mth ContractOther
- CCSenior Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- TPSenior Developer/Technical AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - Mobile AutomationOther
- FTSenior Analyst, Technical SupportNSW