Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5
- Easy to use
- Fails to flag suspicious additions to HKLM 'Run' keys, lacks antiphishing protection
In the end, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 is a pretty solid program with the strongest signature database we tested, but it falls short in behaviour-based protection against unknown threats.
Price$ 42.50 (AUD)
Grisoft, well known for the AVG Anti-Virus software, purchased Ewido Networks in 2006 and reworked its anti-spyware technology into Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5. The sleek-looking program recognised, on average, the largest percentage of threats. Unfortunately, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 suffers from poor behaviour-based protection and a high false-positive rate.
During tests Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 proved itself adept at uncovering known adware and spyware. Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 detected 19 of 20 active samples (ones installed on the test PC), missing only the Banbra Trojan horse, which attempts to collect online-banking credentials. Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 was also by far the best at recognising our large stable of inactive adware, keyloggers, bank-related spyware programs and rootkits - a testament to the breadth of its signature database.
But when Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 didn't recognise the threat, its behaviour-based detection failed to flag suspicious additions to HKLM 'Run' keys, changes to the default Internet Explorer start and search pages, and alterations of our test system's Hosts file. As a result, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 may allow unknown threats to tamper with key areas of your PC. Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 was also the only product we tested to produce false positives.
Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 deactivated 50 per cent of the spyware files and Registry entries we introduced - the second-best showing among the five Vista-tested programs. Unfortunately, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 successfully cleaned only 30 per cent of adware files and Registry entries.
Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 is easy to use, with self-explanatory icons at the top of the main interface. On the down side, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 lacks antiphishing protection to keep you from going to fraudulent financial sites looking for personal information, and it has no POP3, IMAP or SMTP scanning to block e-mail-borne spyware threats.
Also, you can't set a system restore point in case you accidentally delete critical files during Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5's disinfection routine. If you opt for Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5, consider purchasing it through a third-party distributor that offers phone support. Grisoft's own customer support is limited to e-mail communications.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 3 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 4 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Nest jumps into home security with Nest Secure
- Master Lock bring new Smart Padlocks to Oz
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Billions of devices at risk as Bluetooth-bourne vulnerability exposed
- Trend Micro launches new Home Network Scanner
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- FTApplication PackagerACT
- TPInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager (Telecommunications)Other
- CCSenior Business Analyst - InfrastructureVIC
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTETL & SQL Data AnalystOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTDelivery ManagerVIC
- FTSQL DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCAWS DevOps Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- CCGraph Database Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCScrum Master / Project ManagerNSW
- CCIteration Manager - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTIT Service Delivery ManagerOther
- TPProgram Manager - Managed ServicesQLD
- FTUI / UX Lead DesignerQLD
- FTDigital Project Manager - Mobile App, Website BuildOther
- CCCerner Senior Applications Specialist - Brisbane basedSA
- FTSAP BW/BI DeveloperVIC
- FTMid - Senior Web DeveloperWA