Griffin RoadTrip with SmartScan
Versatile, well designed FM transmitter
- Flexible steel neck, sturdy design, SmartScan feature, display
- Doesn't work with the iPhone, mediocre performance in and around CBD areas
The RoadTrip is a decent choice if you are after an FM transmitter for your iPod. It doesn't offer outstanding sound quality, but the flexible neck design is convenient.
Price$ 139.00 (AUD)
An FM transmitter featuring a convenient flexible neck, Griffin's latest RoadTrip comes with SmartScan, a feature that automatically searches for the best three frequencies and saves them as presets.
Although FM transmitters don't offer the best sound quality, they are increasingly popular due to their relatively inexpensive cost and ease of use. The versatile RoadTrip allows you to power, charge and listen to your iPod in the car. It connects through a standard cigarette lighter socket. The flexible neck allows you to tilt the iPod in any direction you like. We really liked the sturdiness of the connection — the RoadTrip's design means the unit is held very firmly in place when connected to the cigarette lighter socket.
The RoadTrip has just three buttons on the unit, which correspond to what is shown just above them on the display. The display itself is quite small, buts it's very bright and easy to read, especially during night driving. Using this unit couldn't be easier — the SmartScan feature is activated by pressing function and then scan. This takes about 20sec to store three of the clearest FM frequencies. You can then select one and tune your car stereo to match. SmartScan is particularly convenient on long trips — if the frequency starts to drop out as you are driving you can simply search for three new frequencies again. Of course, you can also tune the RoadTrip manually and can store up to three of your own frequencies.
Sound quality is never going to be outstanding using FM transmission, but the RoadTrip does a relatively solid job. For optimal quality, you can adjust the sound function between stereo and mono modes. The latter is ideal for podcasts and audiobooks. Stereo mode is more suited to music, though we found the stereo setting worked fine for all content. Sound is a mixed bag, depending on what area you are driving in. We experienced more favourable results when in the suburbs rather than a CBD area.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- CCSecurity AdministratorQLD
- FTCommunications Officer (Social Media Focus)Other
- FTSCCM Systems AdministratorOther
- FTProject Manager - Property /Engineering/ Construction - GovtOther
- CCBusiness Analyst - BI & ReportingNSW
- FTChange Manager- Engineering IndustryOther
- FTLean Agile CoachOther
- CCIseries Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCMySQL Database AdministratorQLD
- CCClient-side Front End Developer (Angular 2)ACT
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTMobile Application Developer (Xamarian)Other
- FTSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsOther
- FTNetwork Design SpecialistOther
- TPIT Change Manager Windows UpgradeVIC
- CCTechnical Infrastructure SME - VMware / Storage/ BackupNSW
- FTSCRUM Master, Digital Transformation, CXOther
- CCSystems Engineers / Infrastructure EngineersNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTSenior Business ArchitectOther
- CCSenior ETL Developer/DesignerVIC
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Business Analyst | Integrated Care ProgramQLD