- Fully programmable, Looks stylish, Has various uses
- A little expensive
More than just a volume knob, the PowerMate is a fully programmable USB peripheral that has a number of useful features.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
PowerMate is the coolest volume knob your computer has ever seen.
Meet PowerMate, a sleek and stylish USB volume knob peripheral. We are guessing now is the time you read over this again and burst out into uncontrollable laughter. We did too when we first heard of this product and our advice would be not to laugh. This is a really intuitive device and it actually made us feel pretty stupid for judging it negatively in the first place.
Basically, PowerMate is a convenient volume knob and mute button for playing music through your PC or Mac, but this is just the beginning of its powers. The PowerMate is also a unique editing peripheral that can be used to scroll, click, select, cut, copy, paste and much, much more. The key to the PowerMate is that it's programmable and this means you can quickly and easily command it to execute a multitude of key commands in any application. For example, during testing we used it to scroll up and down through pages in our Internet browser, Mozilla Firefox. Doesn't sound like much, but they key is that is can synchronise with any number of applications, including image and video editing software.
In terms of design, the PowerMate does look pretty attractive. Its brushed silver finish gives the impression that it's been ripped off the front of an advanced stereo system or amplifier. The knob itself can be both rotated and clicked, and in a move which adds to the "coolness" factor of the PowerMate, the bottom of the unit emits a glowing blue light, furthering the striking design.
The PowerMate includes software which is compatible with both Windows and Mac OSX. Conveniently, it is preset to work with iMovie, GarageBand and FinalCut Pro out of the box. For all other applications though, you'll have to configure the functions yourself, although this isn't difficult at all. The software is a simple menu, similar to what you would find in your Windows Control Panel or your Mac OSX System Preferences. You simply select the setting (i.e. program) and configure each user action to correspond to the computer action you would like in that particular application.
Other options you can configure include knob sensitivity, LED pulsing, and adjusting the time of the long click length. All in all there are six actions the knob provides: Rotate Right, Rotate Left, Click, Long Click, Click and Rotate Right and Click and Rotate Left. The PowerMate is a surprisingly useful device which we can't see ourselves removing from our desks anytime soon, although the $89 price tag seems a little steep.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Griffin's PowerMate is the Surface Dial dead-ringer that's trapped in Mac land
- Take a ride on Positron’s Voyager, a full-motion chair for VR cinema
- Intel showed how 5G networking will power VR and self-driving cars
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- IBM's hub for wearables could have you out of the hospital faster
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTRAN SMEOther
- FTSmallworld Developer - GIS , Spatial data,Other
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Systems Engineer - Veeam / Shadow ProtectOther
- FTDigital Content ProducerOther
- TP.Net Developer - Australian Government ICT ContractorACT
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer - Equities or DerivativesOther
- FTSenior Siebel Integrator/Developer - Canberra/MelbourneACT
- TPSAP TrainerACT
- FTWorkforce AnalystOther
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTSales Lead / Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - North RydeNSW
- FTApplication Tester & Quality Assurance AnalystOther
- TPICT Customer Support Officer - MoreeNSW
- FTEnterprise and Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTMicrosoft Azure Cloud EngineerACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - RetailOther
- CCIT Helpdesk Support OfficerVIC
- FTChange Implementation ManagerOther
- CCAgile Project ManagerACT
- FTRadio Communication TechnicianOther
- FTTransition Consultant - SMSF SoftwareOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTBusiness Development ManagerOther
- FTRecruitment Consultant - Major AccountsOther