- Fully programmable, Looks stylish, Has various uses
- A little expensive
More than just a volume knob, the PowerMate is a fully programmable USB peripheral that has a number of useful features.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
PowerMate is the coolest volume knob your computer has ever seen.
Meet PowerMate, a sleek and stylish USB volume knob peripheral. We are guessing now is the time you read over this again and burst out into uncontrollable laughter. We did too when we first heard of this product and our advice would be not to laugh. This is a really intuitive device and it actually made us feel pretty stupid for judging it negatively in the first place.
Basically, PowerMate is a convenient volume knob and mute button for playing music through your PC or Mac, but this is just the beginning of its powers. The PowerMate is also a unique editing peripheral that can be used to scroll, click, select, cut, copy, paste and much, much more. The key to the PowerMate is that it's programmable and this means you can quickly and easily command it to execute a multitude of key commands in any application. For example, during testing we used it to scroll up and down through pages in our Internet browser, Mozilla Firefox. Doesn't sound like much, but they key is that is can synchronise with any number of applications, including image and video editing software.
In terms of design, the PowerMate does look pretty attractive. Its brushed silver finish gives the impression that it's been ripped off the front of an advanced stereo system or amplifier. The knob itself can be both rotated and clicked, and in a move which adds to the "coolness" factor of the PowerMate, the bottom of the unit emits a glowing blue light, furthering the striking design.
The PowerMate includes software which is compatible with both Windows and Mac OSX. Conveniently, it is preset to work with iMovie, GarageBand and FinalCut Pro out of the box. For all other applications though, you'll have to configure the functions yourself, although this isn't difficult at all. The software is a simple menu, similar to what you would find in your Windows Control Panel or your Mac OSX System Preferences. You simply select the setting (i.e. program) and configure each user action to correspond to the computer action you would like in that particular application.
Other options you can configure include knob sensitivity, LED pulsing, and adjusting the time of the long click length. All in all there are six actions the knob provides: Rotate Right, Rotate Left, Click, Long Click, Click and Rotate Right and Click and Rotate Left. The PowerMate is a surprisingly useful device which we can't see ourselves removing from our desks anytime soon, although the $89 price tag seems a little steep.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- CES 2018: BLOCKS shows off their modular smartwatch
- CES 2018: PITAKA debut MagHive smart reminder tech
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Belkin
- CES 2018: Google Assistant To Come To Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Analyst Programmer C++ - Financial Services - Permanent - SydneyNSW
- CCCustomer IT Service Support ProfessionalVIC
- CCSystems EngineerWA
- CCTechnical ArchitectVIC
- FTService Desk Operators (Part Time and Full Time)SA
- CCCloud Release & Deployment ArchitectACT
- CCJunior to Mid-level Developer - BrisbaneNSW
- FTIT Security OfficerVIC
- FTICT Service Centre Team LeaderVIC
- TPIntermediate Solution Architect - DataQLD
- FTProgram CoordinatorOther
- CCInternet Applications Developer - DevOpsNSW
- FTCyber Security Team LeadOther
- TPSenior Project Manager - Multiple OpportunitiesQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTMid-Senior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTDevOps & IT Operations | Trading & Finance | LinuxOther
- TPOutlook Support AnalystsVIC
- CCData ArchitectWA
- FTKnowledge AnalystOther