GoToMyPC GoToMyPC remote access software
With its slightly unfriendly user interface, GoToMyPC is best for those that wish to work remotely but don't need to share files with others. The service is useful for remote troubleshooting.
Price$ 179.40 (AUD)
GoToMyPC is just as easy to use as LogMeIn and marginally more secure. To set up you simply download the software and create an account with a username and password.
However, GoToMyPC also requires an access code to be assigned to each system to provide an extra layer of security. The software lacks LogMeIn's clear interface but, once we'd entered the access code, the target PC's desktop was immediately visible.
The service then works in the same way as LogMeIn, allowing you to open and edit documents and launch any program on the remote PC. Files can be transferred to and from either PC at the click of a button, although we found the drag-and-drop method to work equally well.
Transferring an 18MB file between PCs took slightly longer than LogMeIn: seven minutes. But the ability to use both PCs while GoToMyPC session is in progress impressed us. A chat function lets you interact between the two systems, which should be useful for situations when you're using the service to sort out others' PC problems.
Unlike LogMeIn, GoToMyPC doesn't enable you to securely share files with others. However, a dedicated option allows you to print documents stored on the target PC through a device connected to the local system; it's also possible to listen to music and system sounds through the local PC.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTElectronic Payments POS Business Analyst - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCChange ManagerWA
- TPSecurity AdvisorACT
- CCPega DeveloperACT
- CCPMO CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior System EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCXML DeveloperVIC
- FTDisaster Recovery AnalystNSW
- FTWireless Networking ConsultantNSW
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- FTSecurity Dev Ops and Java DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnology Project ManagerNSW
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCProject Delivery LeadQLD
- TPReporting DeveloperWA
- FTState IT Systems EngineerTAS
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTResearch Officer / Data Scientist .Work Location- ACTACT
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractVIC
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCTransport EngineerVIC
- FTBPM DeveloperNSW