This month, two PC World readers are going to be the lucky recipients of Huawei’s latest smartwatch, the HUAWEI WATCH GT 2 Pro, valued at $499.
Google Mobile App
Google comes to the iPhone
- Simple interface, search suggestions, location-based search
- Very basic, doesn’t integrate with other Google applications
Google Mobile App is a simple search tool that relies on Safari for most of its work. If you regularly use Google when you are out and about, then this may be worth a look, but for most iPhone users, simply searching Google via Safari will suffice.
A simple application designed to make both online and offline searching easier, Google's Mobile App is basically a shortcut to the world of Google. While some may consider it a fancy search bar in an application, the ability to make a location-based search is an excellent feature.
The Google Mobile App is as simple as they come and features a single text box to search. Aside from this box, there is a settings menu that allows you to edit your searchable items, and a shortcut menu to other Google services, including Gmail, Calendar, Docs and Gtalk. Unfortunately, these features aren't integrated into the application itself and are just quick links — direct integration of these features into the application itself would make it an extremely powerful mobile tool. As an example, integration with Google calendar would be a well-received feature.
The main benefit of searching through the Google Mobile App rather than via Safari is the search suggestions that appear when typing. This helps narrow down results and also extends the search possibilities. For example, when typing "Man United" into the search box, a small bar below the results features a number of boxes that offer quick, extended searches such as ..news, ..fc, ..fixtures, and ..latest news. Tapping the ..news box, for example, will change your search to "man united news" without actually having to type the whole phrase.
Conveniently, as you use the application, it remembers heavily searched items and places these as the first results if similar searches are conducted. You can also search your history and there are a number of privacy settings that can be adjusted, including turning on and off the ability to search for contacts and previous searches, as well as the ability to turn on and off suggested searches as you are typing.
However, undoubtedly the best feature of Google Mobile App is the location-based searching. Employing the iPhone's GPS capabilities, searching for items like "coffee" or "pizza" brings up a location-based search result — for example "search for pizza near me". Tapping this result opens Google Maps and conveniently displays the nearest pizza restaurants. Keep in mind that although Google Mobile App is available on an iPod touch running the latest 2.0 firmware, the location-based search won't work as the touch doesn't feature GPS.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Razer Naga Trinity review: The last best MMO gaming mouse
- 2 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 3 Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
- 4 Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- 5 Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review: Killer form-factor, lethal price-tag
Latest News Articles
- Starlink Internet to be deployed in outback Aussie school
- Got Spotify for desktop? You can now download songs for offline playback
- Amazon's revamped Alexa Voice Remote for Fire TV adds shortcuts to Netflix, Disney+
- Spotify will roll out CD-quality audio streams later this year
- Amazon’s new Echo Show 10 and its rotating display will finally ship on Feburary 25
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- MSI Summit E15 (2021) review: A productivity workhorse with a gaming pedigree
- Every TV in Samsung's 2021 TV line-up explained: Neo QLED vs Crystal UHD vs QLED
- Best Australian EOFY 2021 Laptop Deals
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies