Google Mobile App
Google comes to the iPhone
- Simple interface, search suggestions, location-based search
- Very basic, doesn’t integrate with other Google applications
Google Mobile App is a simple search tool that relies on Safari for most of its work. If you regularly use Google when you are out and about, then this may be worth a look, but for most iPhone users, simply searching Google via Safari will suffice.
A simple application designed to make both online and offline searching easier, Google's Mobile App is basically a shortcut to the world of Google. While some may consider it a fancy search bar in an application, the ability to make a location-based search is an excellent feature.
The Google Mobile App is as simple as they come and features a single text box to search. Aside from this box, there is a settings menu that allows you to edit your searchable items, and a shortcut menu to other Google services, including Gmail, Calendar, Docs and Gtalk. Unfortunately, these features aren't integrated into the application itself and are just quick links — direct integration of these features into the application itself would make it an extremely powerful mobile tool. As an example, integration with Google calendar would be a well-received feature.
The main benefit of searching through the Google Mobile App rather than via Safari is the search suggestions that appear when typing. This helps narrow down results and also extends the search possibilities. For example, when typing "Man United" into the search box, a small bar below the results features a number of boxes that offer quick, extended searches such as ..news, ..fc, ..fixtures, and ..latest news. Tapping the ..news box, for example, will change your search to "man united news" without actually having to type the whole phrase.
Conveniently, as you use the application, it remembers heavily searched items and places these as the first results if similar searches are conducted. You can also search your history and there are a number of privacy settings that can be adjusted, including turning on and off the ability to search for contacts and previous searches, as well as the ability to turn on and off suggested searches as you are typing.
However, undoubtedly the best feature of Google Mobile App is the location-based searching. Employing the iPhone's GPS capabilities, searching for items like "coffee" or "pizza" brings up a location-based search result — for example "search for pizza near me". Tapping this result opens Google Maps and conveniently displays the nearest pizza restaurants. Keep in mind that although Google Mobile App is available on an iPod touch running the latest 2.0 firmware, the location-based search won't work as the touch doesn't feature GPS.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksWA
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- TPTechnical AnalystVIC
- FTInformation Management Business Capability AnalystACT
- CCMid-level Business Process Analyst (Automation) - Contract - ParramattaNSW
- FTTest AnalystSA
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneVIC
- FTIntegration and Implementation SpecialistVIC
- FTTest LeadACT
- TPSenior Project Manager - Digital Application CX TransformationNSW
- CCPega DeveloperACT
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Systems AnalystSA
- FTSoftware and Applications Programmer (Java Developer)ACT
- CCSplunk - Technical AnalystVIC
- FTBUSINESS TECHNOLOGY PARTNERVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCProject Delivery LeadQLD
- CCWintel Server EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer - BRISBANEVIC
- FTScrum Master/Project ManagerQLD