Mobile searching has just become way, way cooler
- Free, incredibly cool
- Doesn't work well with some categories of object at the moment
Right now, Google Goggles doesn't work well with food, cars, plants, or animals. But that's going to change. Developers say the app will soon be able to recognise plants by their leaves, even suggest chess moves by "seeing" an image of your current board. "We are only scratching the surface of the visual search technology," Google's engineers promise.
Google Goggles brings visual search to your mobile phone. Point and click, and it delivers information about what you're seeing.
Mobile searching has just become way, way cooler. Google unveiled its new Google Goggles visual search tool for Android this week, bringing a high-tech twist to accessing information on the go.
Google Goggles: An Introduction
Google Goggles - not to be confused with Google Mail Goggles, the company's inebriated emailing preventer - lets you search from your mobile phone simply by snapping a photo.
Want more info on a product? Take its picture.
Need info about a business? Photograph the storefront.
Put simply, this thing packs some serious power, and its capabilities stretch far.
Google Goggles currently supports photo-based searching for (take a deep breath): books, DVDs, landmarks, logos, contact info, artwork, businesses, products, barcodes, and plain text.
Here's how it works. When you capture an image, Google breaks it down into object-based signatures. It then compares those signatures against every item it can find in its image database. Within seconds, it returns the results to you, ordered by rank. Some results are returned before you even snap a photo, too, thanks to seamless integration of GPS and compass functionality.
But enough on the nuts and bolts. Let's put search-by-sight to the test.
Hands-On With Google Goggles
We started out with something easy: a book. After opening the app, we followed the instructions and took a photo. Google Goggles started analyzing the image. Sure enough, seconds later, we had the results.
Just from seeing the book's cover, Google Goggles gave us the full name and links to compare prices or even preview the text. Below that, it returned regular search results for the title. Not too shabby.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPCyber Security EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Workbrain Functional Expert - Brisbane BasedVIC
- CCFinance AnalystVIC
- FTTest Analyst / Engineer (Cloud / O365 migration)Other
- CCTosca Test AutomationVIC
- FTPortfolio Performance LeadOther
- CCLead Service Designer - CANBERRA BASEDNSW
- FTTechnical Engineer - NPIOther
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Office 365 ProjectOther
- CCChange Manager-Port MacquarieNSW
- CCSecurity AdministratorQLD
- FTSAP Developers (SAP CRM, PSCD, HANA, UI5)Other
- CCSenior Test Data Management ConsultantVIC
- FTField EngineerOther
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- CCProject Support OfficerQLD
- FTIT Audit ManagerNSW
- CCSharepoint DeveloperWA
- CCInfrastructure SMENSW
- FTService Desk Level 2 Support ConsultantACT
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorVIC